This morning, WWD announced the 12 designer tenants occupying CFDA’s Fashion Incubator, a group of studios at 209 West 38th Street in New York’s Garment District.
Because of a $200,000 grant from the City of New York, renting the 800 to 1,000 square foot spaces will will only cost the chosen designers $1,500 to $2,000 per month.
One of the of the hardest things about being a designer in New York is setting up shop. A studio that size in the neighborhood can typically cost upward of $10K, so this is a pretty big coup for the recipients.
By the way, here’s the list:
- Alice Ritter
- Bibhu Mohapatra
- Prabal Gurung
- Sophie Theallet (who also won the CFDA Vogue Fashion Fund last year)
- Rachel Dooley with Gemma Redux
- Grant Krajecki of Grey Ant
- Waris Ahluwalia of House of Waris
- Joel Diaz with Jolibe
- Alison Lewis of Lewis
- Dao-Yi Chow and Maxwell Osborne of Public School
- Yuvi Alpert and Danna Kobo of Ruby Kobo
- Justin Giunta of Subversive Jewelry