Now, in addition to blogger and (sometimes) designer, Jane is taking on a new role: Art critic. Jane has come up with a contest, asking readers to choose their favorite look from Spring 2011 and create a sketch inspired by that look. On November 1, Jane will post her 15 favorite submissions and post them on her blog.
With hundreds of entries already pouring in, winning this contest might be a little difficult. Lucky for you, we’ve created some guidelines that will ensure you a spot on the top 15. Take a look.
1. Choose Wisely. Now, if you’re thinking of drawing a look from Philip Lim or Dolce and Gabbana’s Spring collections, think again. Over at Sea of Shoes, the rule seems to be the more off-beat the better. We’re talking excessive layering, busy patterns (preferably mixed with other busy patterns), and puffy sleeves. If you’re having trouble picking a designer may we suggest Meadham Kirchhoff or Junya Watanabe.
3. Include Weird Animals. While drawing your picture, it would be best to include little drawings of beetles, cockroaches, and octopuses in the background.
4. Accessorize. If the look you have chosen isn’t already styled with pounds of jewelry you must add it. Jane loves jewelry. Especially large statement jewelry. Throw in a lot of bracelets, a huge pendant necklace, and some oversized cocktail rings and you’re good to go.
5. Know Your Judges. We all know that Jane’s mom, Judy, is a big influence on her daughters work. So, chances are Judy will also have a say in the competition winners. Make sure to also please Judy by including a Christopher Ross belt somewhere in the mix, as well as some sort of food reference.
6. Think Outside The Box. After Jane’s trip to Japan we learned that she loves cat cafes and odd stuffed toys. So, if you feel like drawing your favorite look on a stuffed cat, do it. Chances are you’ll be ahead of the game.
So there you have it. Now get drawing. And if you want to check out your competition, we’ve chosen our top five submissions so far. Take a look and good luck!