It's less than 24 hours until the much-hyped Versace x H&M collection finally hits US stores. While waiting for this day, we’ve been baffled by
2. Bring a Friend We’d suggest bringing a friend or two. First off, to keep you company (although it’s easy to make friends in line, there’s like this solidarity thing going on before the doors open), but also to hold the spot in line while the other is off on bathroom breaks or coffee/water/food runs. You’ll also thank yourself later if you map out the nearby public restrooms and food spots before you go. (But if you forget refreshments, don’t worry, the very considerate H&M folks usually start offering some steaming hot coffee and some sort of pastry goods to the faithful waiting in line prior to opening.)
3. Dress Appropriately
This is sort of a no-brainer, but every year it never fails that someone opts for fashion over function and ends up shivering in the cold/drenched in the rain/or in pain due to unnecessarily high heels. Also, keep in mind that there will be a major wait at the dressing rooms, so wear clothing (and shoes) that are conducive to quick and efficient fitting. Time is of the essence!
4. There Is No Such Thing as Too Much Studying
While you’re waiting in that long line--since you got there early, of course--really start mentally triaging the pieces that you want from the collection. If you go in without a focus, you’ll be wasting precious seconds of the 15 minutes you’re allowed to shop the collection. Plus it’s impossible to browse when you have to fight your way through 19 other frenzied girls pawing at whatever bright leafy leggings and gold lamé dresses they can get their hands on.
5. Keep Your Eyes on the Prize
Once you get your wristband and time slot assignment, you can leave and come back later, but we’ve personally witnessed the utter despair of a shopper missing her time slot (there were tears. LOTS.). We’d suggest just hanging around the store, even if that means another long wait. Most likely, the coveted area will be penned off by ropes and stantions (and some slightly exasperated, but very professional beefy security types). You can take the opportunity on the other side of the ropes to observe the layout of the Versace x H&M section and devise your exact plan of attack.
6. All’s Fair in Love, War, and Collab Launches
At this point, you should know exactly what you want and where to get it, so charge in and start grabbing. You can check the sizes later. We know that hoarding isn’t nice, but, hey, everyone does it and do you really want to miss out on the studded leather dress that
7. Wait Around for Cast-Offs
H&M staffers will constantly replenish the stock, but at the end of the day there is still a limited amount available. And with the 15-minute time constraints, you don’t have the privilege of being able to wait around for restocking. But there’s a little trick to scoring the pieces you didn’t have a chance to snag while inside the pen. This requires a bit of focus, but basically start hovering around the dressing room areas and near the cash registers. Back to point number six and the perils of hoarding--some girls will grab what they can and decide later on the pieces that they’ll eventually purchase. So if you wait around patiently enough you might come upon the one piece (or pieces) you missed out on within their reject pile. Just try to be as non-intrusive and subtle as possible. The environment will be tense and high-stress enough as it is.
8. Final Word: Look for Freebies
Last year at the Lanvin collab launch, staffers were handing out adorable little Lanvin x H&M-branded flower-accented tote bags throughout the store. We snagged ours up in the men’s section as we waited for our time slot to open down in the ladies’ area. We thought it was a nice touch, and, hey, you deserve something for all the hard work you’ve put in.