There’s no better way to kick off New York fashion week than with the Heart Truth Red Dress Collection show. It’s sort of like the girl power prom of fashion week–everyone gets tricked out in red dresses and hairstyles that are way too dramatic, and they dance (and usually someone trips) their way down the runway. This year the show celebrated 10 years of the “Red Dress” as a symbol of heart disease awareness, and the evening brought some truly dazzling ladies to the runway.
Christie Brinkley and Rebecca Romijn represented for the blonde girl-next-door model types, and Chaka Khan and Gloria Estefan handled 1980s diva duty (both looking fab, by the way.) Other notables included Aisha Tyler, Glamour‘s EIC Cindy Leive, Jenna Elfman, Minka Kelly, and Rose McGowan. And Debbie Phelps–mom of swimmer Michael–got a turn on the catwalk, too. Here are the highlights from the show, and be sure to check out the gallery at the end to see which designer everyone wore.
- Everyone almost fell! Christie Brinkley stumbled, Rebecca Romijn bumbled her turn at the top of the runway, and Rose McGowan nearly face planted after the first step. But being the Red Dress show, everyone cheered wildly for them and all was well.
- Aisha Tyler put the former models in the group–and everyone else for that matter–to shame with her walk. Hey, IMG–sign her!
- Christie Brinkley walked to “Uptown Girl.” Is she totally sick of that song? Also, she has the most luxurious hair ever.
- Debbie Phelps stopped in the middle of the runway and planted a huge kiss on son Michael Phelps, who was wearing a suit and not a Speedo. It was ultra-sweet.
- Chaka Khan was absolutely magnificent in a Chris March creation with huge, matching red hair.
- We’ll keep the lady nameless, but bad plastic surgery will come back to bite you when you’re older.
- Despite almost falling on her butt, Rose McGowan got it together and triumphed on the runway.
- Cindy Leive’s tea length Jason Wu was so cute, but the shoes they paired it with were not.
Here they are in all their scarlet glory.
Photos: Courtesy of Heart Truth unless otherwise noted