LONDON--Yesterday Tom Ford held a series of appointments in London to show press and buyers his fall 2012 collection. They were completely private and under-the-radar, not even making the London fashion week schedule. He had mentioned to Vogue a few months ago that this would be the format and he followed through.
The lucky few (which did not include us) who saw the pieces couldn't take any pics as per usual, which means we'll be on Tom Ford high alert for the next few months until official shots of the collection are released. But just because they couldn't take pictures doesn't mean people didn't talk about it. We did some sleuthing and here's what we can figure out about the collection:
2) And speaking of handsome, Derek Blasberg tweeted this:
Tom Ford looked in a mirror the entire time he introduced his collection, which was fine since we were all admiring his handsomeness too...
4) It was very luxurious: The recurring words that showed up in tweets about the collection were "chic" and "luxurious." Much was made of the fact that individual snake and crocodile scales were sewn onto garments. And an alpaca fur jacket will set you back about $18,000.
5) The collection is mostly black and red, with one cream red carpet dress mixed in.
6) Ford went on a bit of a rant about red carpet dressing: He told the Telegraph: "No one wants to take any risks. It's all about a strapless dress, a fishtail hem, some borrowed and pretty hair. And who can blame them with the fashion police on the prowl?" And to Vogue UK: "...Nobody would be brave enough" to wear one of his gowns.
7) Lindsey Wixson was one of the models at the presentation and Ford called her "feisty": Flare tweeted:
Another tidbit from Tom Ford we have to share: intro'd Kansas' Lindsey Wixson as from Arkansas. She sassily corrected him. "Feisty!" said TF
So there you have it. While we're looking forward to seeing images of the collection, sometimes words are even better than pictures, aren't they?