We weren’t at Kanye West’s show today, but in this age of Twitter, you almost don’t have to be anywhere anymore–just follow a few well-placed people and you’re all set. Plus it’s fun to piece it all together, sort of like a scavenger hunt.
So, here goes:
1) Several tweeters noted that the rather cavernous space was pretty empty close to show time, which was 930pm in Paris. @BritishVogue tweeted: “Kanye’s show ominously empty. Might go home + make up a report based on rumour+lies for fun #pfw” Elle‘s Joe Zee tweeted: “Crazy door scene at @KanyeWest show but inside, there’s a quiet anticipation. Show starting soon. Buckle up kids.”
2) But there were definitely a few notables there: Kim Kardashian (who tweeted a pic of those $6,000 Kanye shoes), Diddy, Jay-Z, Big Sean, Azealia Banks,Cassie and Alicia Keys were all there. But that’s quite a different crowd than the fashion insider-y one that showed up last season to support him. (Except for the now unemployed
Stefano Pilati, who we spotted in one lone front row picture.) UPDATE: Getty incorrectly identified Riccardo Tisci as Stefano Pilati. The plot thickens…
3) Oh, and Anna Wintour sat next to Andre Leon Talley, who appeared to be wearing velour pants and Uggs. A quick review of today’s Getty showed that he’s been wearing them all over Paris. We’re not sure what to make of this development, but will be watching Vogue carefully for Ugg editorial placements.
4) Karlie Kloss and Carmen Kass walked the show.
5) There were only 20 looks, so no one can accuse him of not editing well.
6) There was a lot of leather, an enormous fur backpack, and something that looked like a cross between a whip/leash/riding crop/long belt.
7) The shoes were mesh and on the most spindly heels ever, and the boots featured straps that we have to admit looked kinda badass.
9) Azealia Banks, Common, Big Sean, and Mos Def all performed at the after party, prompting Azealia to tweet: “That was the most fun I’ve had this year! @kanyewest”
10) And the first review is in. The NYT‘s Eric Wilson had quite a bit to say, and it wasn’t great. He pointed out that the front row (see number 2 above) “gives some idea of the target customer he has in mind for a collection that seemed desperately trying to project both an aura of coolness and easy availability.” It didn’t get much better from there. Kanye was supposed to do a preview for the press, but decided to cancel it last minute…while Wilson was already in the showroom. “‘I don’t know about this,” Kanye said said. “I got treated unfairly by the press last time. Why would I want to do this?’” And then he kicked Wilson out. Wilson watched the show objectively, but pointed out the “questionable fur looks” and that “Mr. West’s approach to making a dress was like a cook wrapping leftover turkey.” (He DID like an oversized sweatshirt, however.)
Click through to see pictures from the show. What do you think?
Photos: Getty, Twitter