Today, entertainment rag The Hollywood Reporter released their second annual style issue and accompanying list of the 25 most powerful stylists in the biz and they’ve named Kate Young the most powerful of them all. As you may recall, Rachel Zoe--not surprisingly--topped last year’s list and covered the issue while pregnant. This year, Zoe isn’t on the list at all, the reason for which THR explains in a separate article, and there are four cute covers featuring stylists photgraphed with clients.
Sadly, Kate Young isn’t on any of the four covers (we imagine Michelle Williams and Natalie Portman are pretty tough to pin down these days), but they did get Lesley Fremar and Charlize Theron, Emma Stone and Petra Flannery, Elizabeth Stewart and Jessica Chastain and Jeanne Yang and Katie Holmes.
You’ll also notice that many of those at the top of the list have clients like Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain and Rooney Mara, who made a lot of red carpet appearances this year because of the success of the films they were in.
Young regularly styles best dressed list regulars Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman and Rachel Weisz and is the only stylist represented by CAA. We’ve been fans of her and her work for a while and are glad she’s getting the recognition she deserves. As for Ms. Zoe’s mysterious absence from the list...
It’s not because she’s dedicated her whole career to branding herself and shopping for Skyler, or that Brad Goreski (# 20, up two spots from last year) stole all of her clients. According to a separate piece entitled, “Why Rachel Zoe Isn’t Number One On The 25 Most Powerful Stylists List,” Zoe has gotten “too big to rank thanks to a hot runway show, multimillion-dollar fashion empire, TV show (whose future is uncertain) and -- watch out toddlers -- a possible new kids' line.”
Click through for the full list, including who they style and their ranking from last year in parentheses.
1. Kate Young (2): Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman, Rachel Weisz
2. Leslie Fremar (9): Charlize Theron, Julianne Moore, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson
3. Petra Flannery (3): Emma Stone, Claire Danes, Zoe Saldana, Mila Kunis, Megan Fox
4. Elizabeth Stewart (8): Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis
5. Kemal Harris and Karla Welch (honorable mention): Olivia Wilde, Hailee Steinfeld, Zooey Deschanel, Stacy Keibler
6. Jen Rade (4): Angelina Jolie, Pink, Katherine McPhee
7. Ryan Hastings (none): Rooney Mara, Mia Wasikowska, Robert Pattinson
8. Samantha McMillen (24): Carey Mulligan, Evan Rachel Wood, Dakota and Elle Fanning, Diane Lane, Colin Firth, Johnny Depp, Josh Brolin, Ryan Reynolds
9. Deborah Waknin (7): Sofia Vergara, Sandra Bullock, Diane Keaton, Halle Berry
10. Cristina Ehrlich (6): Penelope Cruz, Amy Adams, Amber Heard, Tina Fey, Julianna Marguiles
11. Jeanne Yang (10): Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise, Andrew Garfield, Christian Bale
12. L’Wren Scott (13): Nicole Kidman, Sarah Jessica Parker
13. Rob Zangardi and Mariel Haenn (17): Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, Rachel McAdams, Lily Collins
14. Elizabeth Saltzman (none): Gwyneth Paltrow
15. Cher Coulter (none): Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Kate Bosworth, Elizabeth Olsen
16. Leith Clark (11): Keira Knightley, Kirsten Dunst
17. Jessica Paster (14): Emily Blunt, Felicity Jones, Andrea Riseborough, Ellie Kemper
18. Penny Lovell (none): Rose Byrne, Ginnifer Goodwin
19. Wendi and Nicole Ferreira (none): Octavia Spencer, Elizabeth Banks, Channing Tatum, Josh Hutcherson
20. Brad Goreski (22): Jessica Alba, Rashida Jones, Maya Rudolph, Demi Moore, Noomi Rapace
21. Nicole Chavez (20): Rachel Bilson, Kristen Bell, Catherine Zeta-Jones
22. Johnny Wujek (none): Katy Perry, Kate Mara, Nicki Minaj
23. George Kotsiopoulos (19): Janet McTeer, Alice Eve
24. Arianne Phillips (none): Madonna
25. Ilaria Urbanti (none): Nina Dobrev, Krysten Ritter, Bradley Cooper, Armie Hammer