Carine Roitfeld has finally revealed, to WWD, all the details of that new magazine she’s been dropping hints about for months now–confirming some things we already knew, like that the glossy will launch in September, be based in NYC and published by Visionaire, or, technically, Fashion Media Group LLC, the company behind Visionaire–and releasing tons of new info and even a few photos. Not surprisingly, it sounds awesome. Click through for all the deets.
• The full name is CR Fashion Book, after Roitfeld’s initials. “CR” will appear “handwritten” on the front cover as well as at the tops of pages, like stationary.
• Offices will be based at the new East Village outpost of The Standard hotel.
• It will be biannual, with the first issue slated for September
• Each issue will have a theme. The one shown in a mockup to advertisers is “Obsession,” though it’s unclear whether that will actually be the first theme.
• The magazine will only carry spreads and long-format articles. No front-of-book content.
• You won’t find anything shot by Mario Testino because of his contracts with other magazines.
• There will be a frequently updated online component, which will have “front of book content across fashion, art and culture” and teasers for upcoming issues. We guessed the URL and while CRfashionbook.com is still just a landing page, it looks like there will be a digital version of the magazine available for a $5 subscription fee. You can also subscribe to the print edition for $20.
• Some articles will be published in the native language of their author, with an English translation in the back.
• Some examples of sections: Icons, Muses, Skincare and Fitness.
Overall, CR sounds like it will be personal, hence the handwritten initials and such, but not necessarily what we’d expect. She tells WWD she’s finding “new ways to be irreverent” with the shoots she styles, which will be “not necessarily safer, but different.” Nor will it be in direct competition with her former employer: “You can’t put yourself into competition with a magazine like Vogue; you have to create something new, something different.” She also revealed a couple of interesting tidbits not directly related to the magazine.
For one, she will be the subject of a feature-length documentary directed by Fabien Constant, who co-directed that awesome mini-doc for W about Roitfeld’s exploits during couture week. In this doc, which we cannot wait for, we’ll see her at fashion shows, parties, shoots and creating her new magazine (we figure that’s what all those cameras were about when we saw her with a crew at Hermes last season). No word on when that will come out, but it will definitely be after her granddaughter, who is due to come out of Julia Restoin-Roitfeld in six weeks!
Click through for more mock-up pics of CR, courtesy WWD. What do you think so far?