Today, in anticipation of the Time 100, the magazine has released a list of the 100 most influential fashion icons
of all time since 1923, when Time was first published. The list is divided into categories: designers & brands, models, muses, photographers and editors & stylists, with designers & brands making up the bulk of the list.
For the most part, the list is pretty much who we’d expect without any glaring omissions. Of course, as with any list of this kind, there are a few tiny surprises. Some interesting things we noticed:
• Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen are on the list together under designers and might be the only people on this list under the age of 40.
• Dolce & Gabbana is listed as a brand, whereas most of of the designers are listed by name (e.g. Cristobal Balenciaga)
• There are almost no British designers.
• Most of the designers listed are the founding designers of big fashion houses, rather than succeeding designers, save for John Galliano and Karl Lagerfeld.
• Andy Warhol is listed as a muse?
• There’s a noticeable lack of people of color.
Click through for the full list. Is there anyone who you think is missing or should not have been included?