H&M stores around the world opened early today for the launch of the high street retailer’s highly-anticipated collaboration with Maison Martin Margiela.
H&M’s limited edition collaboration launches have become famous for extremely long lines and die-hard fans camping out days before.
Today’s launch seems to have been pretty manageable so far in all major cities–perhaps thanks to H&M learning from past experience and figuring out what works, along with MMM having a more niche fan base than, say, Versace.
Still, people got in line bright and early (yesterday), Kanye lyrics were Tweeted, and everyone wanted that candy clutch (which we’ll be giving away so stay tuned). Read on for details from Paris, London, Milan and New York via WWD, Vogue UK, Elle UK, Vogue Italia and Racked. (We totally would have gone out there to see for ourselves but, um, it’s cold…we’re gonna go later to check out SoHo promise.)
• The Paris editor’s pre-shop sold out in minutes.
• Staff handed out croissants and coffee (we’re pretty sure other cities only got coffee, if anything)
• The earliest to arrive had been in place since 8 p.m. Wednesday night.
• Candy clutch was the most popular item.
• Shoppers were queuing from 5 a.m., according to Vogue.
• Coffee and wristbands were handed out.
• According to Elle UK, shoppers had been there since 2am and by 9am there were over 200 people.
• Everyone wants the candy clutch.
• Korean tourists got in line at 9am Wednesday morning.
• There were about 90 people in line at 7am.
• Line smaller than Versace x H&M.
• H&M employees were wearing lab coats!
• Amy Odell Tweeted, “H&M x Margiela launch remarkably calm at Columbus circle store. Line contained behind a fence, shoppers have time limit.” The H&M at Columbus Circle just opened today.
• Employees seem to be wearing aprons
• There were crowds
Overall, nothing that insane happened. At least not yet. If you hear of anything, let us know.