MAC AND CHEESE with MUSHROOMS
• 2 cups elbow macaroni
• Kosher salt
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• ¾ lbs cremini mushrooms, chopped
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 3 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
• 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
• 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Pinch nutmeg
• ½ tsp dry mustard powder
• ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
• ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter an oven-proof casserole dish and set aside.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just under al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
Warm milk in a small pot (do not boil) and set aside. Meanwhile melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook over low heat for 1 minute, constantly stirring. While whisking, slowly add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, goat cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, parsley, nutmeg and dry mustard. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour mixture into the prepared dish.
Evenly sprinkle panko over the top of the pasta. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool 5 minutes; serve hot.