Fashion people don’t go uptown very often. (I know this because I live uptown and I have rarely attended an event that takes place above 59th street.) When New York Fashion Week was moved up to Lincoln Center you’d have thought editors were being asked to go to Toronto. Anyway, the garment center is downtown, as are many designers’ studios as well as editors’ and models’ fabulous abodes. It’s just cooler downtown–everyone knows this.
But after Sandy ripped through, leaving most of Manhattan below 34th Street in darkness and under water, the downtown denizens have been forced to relocate to higher ground for a while. (Refinery29 even tweeted this: “Overheard no joke from a realtor: ‘sandy is the best thing that could have happened to me. It’s finally made midtown cool again’” Oy.)
From the poshest of hotels (like the Carlyle) to decidedly more pedestrian digs (like the Marriott), the industry is currently stuck uptown. Here’s where they all are, what it costs, and what they’ve been saying about it.
• The Carlyle: The New York Post is reporting that Grace Coddington and Mary Kate Olsen (and beau Olivier Sarkozy) are holed up at this posh Upper East Side hotel, which is a stone’s throw from Madison Avenue, home to the world’s most expensive retail. Derek Blasberg is there, too, hanging out with model pals Karlie Kloss, Lily Donaldson, and Poppy Delevingne. He tweeted: “Karlie, Lily and Poppy with the Upper East Side’s Halloween Prince, Cyrus” [Ed. note: Who is Cyrus? Pic in gallery.]
Cost: $960/night for 2 twin beds; up to $2400/night for a suite. The hotel is booked until November 6.
• The Mark: If you’re looking for some serious fashion networking, this is the place to be. Anna Wintour, Carine Roitfeld, Helena Christensen, and Marc Jacobs are all hunkered down there, according to the NYP. Celebs like Emma Stone and Naomi Watts have been spotted there as well–will they show up on future issues of Vogue or CR soon?
Cost: $857/night for a queen bedroom; up to $4870/night for two bedroom suite. The hotel is booked until November 8.
• The Andaz: Barely uptown, this hotel is near the New York Public Library and Bryant Park. Prabal Gurung is staying there, and tweeted: Home away from home thank you Andaz Hotel xo PG @ Andaz 5th Avenue http://instagr.am/p/RdR2aMxvHB/
Cost: $445.50 for a standard king bedroom. The hotel is booked up until November 9.
• The Lowell Hotel: The Weinstein/Chapmans are here as well as Alec Baldwin and new wife, Hilaria. Chances that Hilaria wears Marchesa on her next red carpet? High.
Cost: Junior suites start at $1190 up to $3275 for a two bedroom suite. Nothing available until November 15.
• The Marriot Marquis Times Square: This is perhaps the most unlikely spot that we’d expect a fashion person to go, but leave it to Chris Benz to stray off the chicly-beaten path. He tweeted: “Not that it isn’t always, but the Marriott Marquis Times Square is really the look in times of crisis.” http://instagr.am/p/Ra_WtvL6Im/
Cost: Rates for single rooms range from $377 to $599. The hotel is booked until November 6.
Click through to see Instagrams from the uptown trenches.