Girls may not be a show about fashion but that doesn’t mean fashion doesn’t play kind of a huge role on the show. Also, we’re just kind of obsessed. But really: few moments were more memorable in season one than Jessa’s feather contraption from the Bushwick loft party or Hannah and Adam’s matching longjohns. Clothes are what help convey each character’s personality. As Hannah puts it at the beginning of this new trailer, “I’ve always marched to the beat of my own drummer, ever since I cut my camp shirt into a halter top.”
Interesting given what costume designer Jenn Rogien told us a few months ago when we asked what we could expect from season two: “We’re supporting where the girls find themselves as the season opens and true to Hannah’s style, she’s following the beat of her own drummer and pursuing a trend that only she’s aware is happening.”
Now, thanks to a brand new trailer and a Footwear News interview with Rogien, we have an even better idea of what to expect from the shows second season, which we think is going to be pretty influential fashion-wise. I mean, the show already has a freaking nail polish line and the Times just published an article about Bird (where Hannah would shop if she could afford it) and the “Brooklyn Look.”
Here’s a list of season two’s most important fashion moments that we already know about:
• Hannah’s green mesh tank top. It’s made an appearance in both trailers. It’s terrible and we think it’s going to be important.
• Charlie’s new girlfriend’s headbands. She wore them in season one and they’re back.
• A lack of shirts for Adam, still.
• Jewelry in the bathtub.
• Bass loafers, according to FN (perhaps Rachel Antonoff x Bass given Dunham’s Antonoff connections?)
• Some Givenchy. “I may have shared a Givenchy look with a guest star next season,” said Rogien.
• “Pops of color” on Shoshanna
• A vintage boutique called “Maiden’s Milk” located on a stoop. Judging by the above photo, the girls have launched some sort of side business selling vintage clothes outside. Fun!
• Summer clothes. The season was obviously shot during the summer, which is really going to annoy us while watching it in January.
Watch the full trailer below! Are you as excited as we are?