Today is Marc Jacobs’s 50th birthday, which is quite the milestone.
It wasn’t too hard to come up with 50 things we like about Marc Jacobs to commemorate his big day. So here goes, in no particular order (with input from ultimate MJ fangirl and Fashionista contributor, Steff Yotka):
1. His fondness for kilts.25. He has both worn and designed shirts with Mickey Mouse on them.
2. And lace dresses.
3. …And most recently, pajamas!
4. His swimwear of choice leaves nothing to the imagination.
5. His aptly named Bang perfume ad. (That one took balls.)
6. The fact that he is dating a porn star and doesn’t give a f*ck who knows it.
7. His theatrical Louis Vuitton shows.
8. That pink graffiti Stephen Sprouse collab for Louis Vuitton.
9. The fact that he wore red lipstick and nail polish in NARS’s 15th anniversary book.
10. He put Madonna in a Louis Vuitton ad. And it was fabulous.
11. He did a grunge collection for Perry Ellis. (Grunge! At Perry Ellis!)
12. He really likes the sisters Fanning. (Fun fact: Today is also Elle Fanning’s birthday. She turns 15.)
13. Those canvas tote bags that say “Jacobs by Marc Jacobs for Marc by Marc Jacobs…”
14. He made the first designer bag I ever owned. It was heavy, but I loved it. (Mine too!–Nora)
15. He’s finally getting around to doing a makeup line. Better late than never!
16. He’s the only person who can get Kate Moss to walk in runway shows.
17. He is a “porn baron” and wears dad jeans in Disconnect.
18. Those weird random videos he does, like this one with a guy vacuuming a bed.
19. Because the ultimate tastemaker, Harper Beckham, loves him, too.
20. And he once put Victoria Beckham in a Marc Jacobs shopping bag for an ad.
21. He’s in therapy, just like pretty much everyone else in NYC we know.
22. That Ikea monkey wanted to be in one of his ads.
23. He was able to shake a drug addiction.
24. He was one of the first designers to accept and embrace fashion bloggers. Thanks, Marc!
26. Because he didn’t go to Dior (we like him at Vuitton)!
27. He supports the arts through his fashion collabs.
28. He inspired a Seth Meyers spoof thanks to his penchant for lace dresses. And it was spectacular.
29. He really gets the whole ugly-pretty thing.
30. He inspires loyalty in those who work with him (see: Juergen Teller, Katie Grand, Robert Duffy).
31. His perfume bottles are unabashedly cute and kitschy. (And he has a new one called Honey, featuring bumble bees.)
32. He’s not afraid to send weird hats down the runway.
33. He’s a fan of South Park.
34. He’s BFFs with Sofia Coppola.
35. And Winona Ryder. Coolest friends ever?
36. He got fit to feel better about himself and to be healthy.
37. Because the influence of those metal cap toed shoes he did for Louis Vuitton spring 2012 is still everywhere.
38. He once dressed up as camel toe for Halloween. (And a pig. And a fat pigeon.) Watch out, Heidi…
39. He dressed Miss Piggy.
40. The carousel! The train!
41. Marc by Marc Jacobs paved the way for other designers to offer their wares at a more affordable price.
42. He’s dressed Mrs. Obama–in both his main line and Marc by Marc.
43. He has the most random tattoos ever (SpongeBob, an M&M, a couch?).
44. He adores his dogs. (He has a tattoo of his former dog Daisy and named a perfume after her. Awww puppy…)
45. Plus, he designed a dog outfit to support Obama for Anna Wintour’s “Runway to Win” campaign.
46. He’s been drawn by The Simpsons artists (and has the tattoo to prove it).
47. The Marc by Marc Jacobs mouse shoes.
48. He wore white sneakers and grandma glasses like it was nobody’s business circa 2001-2004.
49. He once had a store that was only filled with tchotchkes. That’s where Steff bought her most beloved leopard backpack.
50. Steff sums it up best: He made his name by doing it “wrong.” Starting out, his collections weren’t trendy, his clothes weren’t cut to flatter your body in the traditional way–they were weird colors with strange designs. They still are today. He made it OK to be a weirdo.