This is one of the newer services out there, and Natalie Cupid, the manager and senior technician at Sundara in New York City, said that some clients don’t realize it’s a “tippable” service. Well, it is, and techs really appreciate it when you do.
Standard Tip: Generally 20%. Cupid said that on a $68 tab, techs usually get $10 to $20.
Managing Your Expectations:
• You’re going to have to get pretty naked for this service, a la Chrissy Teigen. BUT…if you’re really uncomfortable with that, the tech should definitely accommodate your needs.
• If you have skin like Nicole Kidman, you are not going to come out looking like Kim Kardashian. Cupid said people always bring in pictures of celebs (fun side note: Jennifer Aniston and Jessica Alba are the most popular) but it’s actually better to bring in a picture of yourself at your glowy best, so they can give you the right color for your skin tone.
• If you have a peeling sunburn, covering it with an airbrush tan will make you look like you have the most horrifying skin disease ever.
• Spray tanning cannot totally fix tan lines. Ditto cellulite. It can blend and minimize but, “We’re not surgeons!” Cupid said.
These Things Are Not OK:
• The tech doesn’t have a thorough consultation with you prior to whipping out the sprayer.
• Your hands and feet are too dark–it’s a dead giveaway that you have a bottle tan, according to Katherine Goldman of the California-based Stript salons. They should be lighter than your arms and legs.
• You have to tell her she missed a spot.
What about if you’re just not happy with the color? Talk to the tech and the managers. Chances are they will give you another service gratis and do their best to “fix” the color if they can. Speak up, instead of just stomping out in all your orange glory.