Hair seems to be the most emotional for women, and the guidelines are definitely more vague. Hair stylist Chris Lospalluto gave us some advice for how to navigate tipping at the hair salon.
Standard Tip: Generally 15-20% but because of the loyalty that people have for hair stylists, many regulars will tip their stylists much higher. Lospalluto reports that tipping 100% isn’t uncommon. But never feel pressured to go that high!
Managing Your Expectations:
• Especially with a stylist you haven’t been to before, it’s really important to discuss what you want. Lospalluto says that if the convo goes longer than four or five minutes, though, it should raise a red flag–you’re not getting onto the same page quickly enough.
These Things Are Not OK:
• Thinking the stylist “butchered” your hair.
• A bad shampoo bowl experience–getting splashed on or water too hot/too cold.
• You get the wrong color. (Seems obvious, but I’ve known people to walk around with color they hated. This is fixable!)
• Lospalluto recommends going by your emotional state afterward–if you’re really stressed out, that isn’t a good sign.
A lot of people get pissed off and stiff the stylist when they have to wait too long or there’s a delay in the appointment. Many times it’s not the stylist’s fault–bring your beef to the front desk and ask for a manager. Chances are they’ll comp you a service.