Confession: Despite the fact that I’m a beauty editor, I’ve never tried self tanner. I’m terrified of it, plus I like being pale. So of course I decided to try the weird one that supposedly works in the shower. A word of advice: Make sure you leave your contacts in when you try this one. I didn’t. Der.
How it works: It’s a two-in-one body wash and self tanner. It comes with gloves and an applicator on a long wooden stick. You’re supposed to squirt one pump for each limb you want to cover. It claims to be gradual and subtle.
• The included gloves were a lifesaver (once I actually put them on after staining both of my thumbs mahoghany).
• The applicator, which is like one of those plastic loofahs, was really helpful for buffing out areas where color got saturated (namely, my dry knees.)
• The color really IS gradual. I didn’t wait the full recommended 30 secs and I had the barest glow when I stepped out of the shower.
• It didn’t stain my towels or sheets.
• You have to huddle in a dry corner of your shower to apply and while you’re letting it sit for 30 seconds. Also the directions recommend shampooing first because otherwise it will make the tanner streak.
• Using the applicator to apply the first dose resulted in a big dark patch on the top of one thigh and paleness below the knee. I learned my lesson on the second leg and dotted it evenly down the length of my leg, then buffed it in.
Overall: I was pleasantly surprised, and will go back to my shower and try for darker legs.
Best for: People who want to multi-task, and/or want the next new cool thing ALWAYS.