Dermatologist Approved Sunburn Treatment Recommendations:
• Take an anti-inflammatory medication like aspirin or ibuprofen (also known as Advil and Motrin).
• Rub in a topical anti-inflammatory like 1% hydrocortisone cream as soon as possible “to curtail the inflammatory cascade,” recommends Dr. Waldorf.
• Apply cool compresses of water or water plus milk to soothe and further decrease inflammation.
• DO NOT PICK AT BLISTERS OR PEELING SKIN! (Yeah, that’s a hard one for us, too.) You could get an infection, scars, or uneven pigmentation, according to Dr. Jaliman. Not cute.
• Apply a bland moisturizer (and leave it in the fridge so it’s cool when you apply). You don’t need any fancy post-sun beauty products–stick with the basics. Dr. Waldorf likes Avene Trixera Emollient Cream, Eucerin Cream, Cerave Moisturizing Cream, or Aveeno. An Aveeno Oatmeal Bath (cool water!) will also be soothing.
• Next time… wear sunscreen!