If you’re a cheating woman and you need to know what to wear this summer to fit in with your floozy peers, you’re in luck.
Ashley Madison, the extramarital dating site, recently conducted a study exploring the relationship between fashion and female philanderers. 52,390 cheating women (presumably Ashley Madison members) responded to the survey, and the results are pretty fascinating–and also somewhat unexpected.
While female cheaters are often portrayed as promiscuous and racy, it turns out that, when it comes to fashion, their tastes are actually quite wholesome. Ashley Madison asked respondents to name their favorite stores to shop in, and, let’s just say that they’re probably not ones you’d expect. Coming in at number one? Banana Republic, followed by Fashionista fave J.Crew. (Cheaters: They’re Just Like Us.) Even more surprisingly, Chico’s–yes Chico’s–made the list.
The rest of the results:
1) Banana Republic
4) Ann Taylor
7) Lane Bryant
10) JC Penney
The results actually make a lot of sense when you consider that, according to Ashley Madison CEO Noel Biderman, the dating site’s “typical female user is a professional woman in her early 30′s.” More than one-third of the women polled also said that they spend more than two times as much money on their style since before they started cheating. Sad–but good for the economy.
Other interesting factoids to be gleaned from the study:
* 17% of philandering females rock pumps from Aldo while stepping out on their significant other
* Mark Jacobs [sic] makes the most popular handbag for hanky panky
* The majority of AshleyMadison.com’s shady members prefer aviator shades from RayBan
* Top three summer trends for two-timers: Pencil skirt with slit, maxi dresses, and brightly colored skinny jeans
* Banana is the #1 stop for clothes but Victoria’s Secret is the go-to store for undergarments
* 12.4% of cheaters admit to returning items after wearing them to a rendezvous!
In summation: Cheating women like the same kind of stuff as regular women, and there’s a small chance that someone had an affair in that dress you just bought.
Full size infograph below.