Sometime during the long haul that was fashion month -- perhaps it was the day I walked nearly 10 miles between shows in London, or the day that Lucky market editor Laurel Pantin wore these wonderful Mother of Pearl shoes with a chunky white knit and a plaid Celine skirt -- I finally fell for slip-on sneakers.
They, like other "ugly shoes" of the '90s and early 'aughts -- and sneakers more broadly -- are having a moment. And any time comfortable, functional shoes are having a moment, one should take advantage.
I've been coming through the catalogs of online retailers for the past week and created a shopping guide to help you find a beloved pair for spring: whether you're into black, white, solid hues, prints, metallics or embellishment. Prices range from $21 to $1,325.
As for what I'll buy? I was seduced by these effortlessly cool Common Projects slip-ons in black perforated leather ($450), though I was seriously tempted by this Givenchy pair in black and white lace as well -- which, at $650, was even beyond my limits of reasonableness. Click throw the following pages and let us know what's on your shopping list and how you'd style them for spring.m
1. Common Projects leather sneakers in white, $455, available at Net-a-Porter 2. Report slip-on sneakers in black, $48, available at Nasty Gal 3. Messeca slip-on sneakers in white, $170, available at Nasty Gal 4. Miu Miu leather point-toe sneakers, $490, available at Net-a-Porter 5. Ash glitter slip-ons, $125, available at Neiman Marcus 6. Miu Miu metal captor slip-on sneakers, $490, available at Barneys 7. Mother of Pearl satin-striped sneakers with tassels, $550, available at Moda Operandi 8. Sam Edelman croc-embossed sneakers, $100, available at Shopbop 9. Marc by Marc Jacobs slip-on sneakers, $345, available at Thecorner.com 10. Woman by Common Projects slip on perforated in black, $450, available at The Line 11. Givenchy floral lace slip-on sneakers, $650, available at Saks Fifth Avenue 12. Steve Madden eccentric pony hair sneaker, $110, available at Nasty Gal 13. Jeffrey Campbell cutout sneakers, $90, available at Shopbop 14. Vince slip-on sneakers, $195, available at Shopbop 15. Donald J Pliner beaded slip-on sneaker, $198, available at Neiman Marcus 16. Givenchy HDG logo plimsol, $543, available at Farfetch
1. Steve Madden slip-ons in red ponyhair, $100, available at Steve Madden 2. Blu Kicks orange slip-ons, $42, available at Fab.com 3. Keds crash-back sneakers in lilac twill, $45, available at Keds.com 4. Steve Madden slip-ons in orange ponyhair, $100, available at Steve Madden 5. Native low-tops, $35, available at Yoox.com 6. Keds crash-back sneakers in lime twill, $46, available at Zappos 7. Rivieras classic slip-ons in green, $75, available at Saks Fifth Avenue 8. Giuseppe Zanotti moc sneakers in blue, $1325, [sold out]. 9. Schutz sneaker in cobalt, $158, available at Nasty Gal 10. Kurt Geiger slip-on sneakers in blue leopard, $189, available at Luisa Via Roma 11. McQ low-tops, $149, available at Yoox.com 12. Steve Madden sneaker in burgundy, $75, available at Amazon.com
1. Mother of Pearl printed canvas slip-on sneakers, $370, available at Net-a-Porter 2. Sam Edelman leopard-print slip-ons, $110, available at Neiman Marcus 3. Mother of Pearl canvas slip-on trainers in blue floral, $405, available at Moda Operandi 4. Mother of Pearl slip-on sneakers in orange floral, $372, available at Shopbop 5. Mother of Pearl slip-on trainers in striped canvas, $571, available at Matches 6. Joshua Sanders embroidered sneakers, $395, available at Moda Operandi 7. Moncler slip-on trainers in marigot, $380, available at Farfetch 8. Prada Linea Rossa floral-printed slip-on sneaker, $490, available at Neiman Marcus 9. Givenchy rose-print sneaker, $570, available at Barneys 10. Brian Lichtenberg homes printed plimsolls, $169, available at Farfetch 11. Jimmy Choo deem printed canvas slip-on sneaker, $495, available at Neiman Marcus 12. Mother of Pearl slip-on trainers in leopard, $356, available at Matches 13. Mother of Pearl insect-print sneakers, $375, available at Moda Operandi 14. Kurt Geiger ponyskin sneakers in blue leopard, $189, available at Luisa Via Roma 15. Peter Pilotto for Target slip-on shoe in green floral, $21, available at Target 16. Zara printed leather slipper, $100, available at Zara 17. Tika2 gingham sneakers, $35, available at Topshop 18. Joshua Sanders embroidered sneakers, $295, available at Moda Operandi
1. Versace medusa head slip-on sneaker, $915, available at Farfetch 2. Saint Laurent glitter trainer, $468, available at Farfetch 3. Joshua Sanders hologram effect slip-on sneakers, $595, available at Moda Operandi 4. Lanvin metallic leather slip on sneakers, $595, available at Luisa Via Roma 5. Rocco Po woven tennis sneaker, $503, available at Farfetch 6. Ash glitter slip-ons, $125, available at Neiman Marcus 7. Lanvin basket slip-ons, $495, available at Barneys 8. Marc by Marc Jacobs metallic sneakers in blue, $228, available at Shopbop
1. Sam Edelman studded plimsol, $191, available at Farfetch 2. Givenchy skate shoes in crystal-embellished black leather with white rubber soles, $650, available at Net-a-Porter 3. Giuseppe Zanotti mock sneakers, $1325, available at Shopbop 4. Miu Miu jeweled leather slip-on sneakers, $850, available at Saks Fifth Avenue 5. Valentino rockstud slip-on sneaker, $982, available at Farfetch 6. Christian Louboutin spiked leather sneakers, $795, available at Saks Fifth Avenue 7. Jeffrey Campbell low-tops, $135, available at Yoox.com 8. Jimmy Choo camo grove slip-on sneakers, $595, available at Saks Fifth Avenue