Like it or not, Fall Is Coming. To be honest, we here at Fashionista are pretty excited for the upcoming season, mainly because it gives us an excuse to do what we love: shop.
There's something about shopping for the fall/winter season that feels more substantial and important than shopping for warmer weather -- since things tend to be more expensive, we think of them more as "investment pieces," unlike the sandals and gauzy clothes we bought for spring.
So with that in mind, here are the things we can't wait to snap up for ourselves before the cold weather hits and we regret ever wishing it was fall. Because, let's be honest, that's definitely what we'll be thinking come November. Until then, though...
Lauren Indvik, Editor in Chief
1. Proenza Schouler chunky sweater, $895 at Farfetch: I immediately gravitated towards this soft, beautifully made knit when I came across it in Proenza's showroom last winter, and put it on my fall wish list right then.
2. Burberry Prorsum wool and cashmere skirt, $1,095 at Net-a-Porter: I love everything about this skirt: the pattern, the colors, the silhouette. It's also cozy and looks easy to wear -- a black turtleneck and a block heel and you're done.
3. MAC "Rebel" lipstick, $16 at Nordstrom: I've been eyeing this since I saw Nora wear it to work this spring -- it's a good fall color.
4. J.Crew "Lookout" high-rise jean in black, $116 at J.Crew: I've tried on a number of high-rise black jeans this August, and these are my favorite: lightweight, flattering and not too stretchy or skinny.
6. Adidas "Superstar 2.0" shoes, $75 at Adidas: I already have these in all-white, and they're wonderfully comfortable, but I can't always get them to work with what I'm wearing, especially since I wear so many ivory (and not pure white) blouses. The black stripes coordinate with the black leather of my Mansur Gavriel bucket bag, and will help pull my look together.
Dhani Mau, Senior Editor
1. Carven Crepe Skirt, $460 at Shopbop: The possibilities of this effortlessly chic beige skirt are endless. If I had to buy only one skirt to wear for the entirety of fall, it would be this.
2. Demylee Loren Cashmere Polo, $334 at J.Crew: I feel like I want to get back into polo shirts, starting with this striped cashmere one.
3. Furry coat, $169 at Zara: I decided I'm going to embrace faux fur this fall, mostly because I love how simple and light this coat is, and also the fact that it's under $200.
4. The Birdy Double Wrap Leather Strap Watch, $525 at Shinola: The thin double strap gives this Detroit-made watch a more feminine vibe, but it still feels totally classic.
5. Band of Outsiders Crewneck Sweater with Eyelashes, $375 at Net-a-Porter: I loved Band of Outsiders' surrealist fall collection and this cheeky sweater is probably the most versatile/subtle piece to pull out of it.
6. Beatle Boot in patent, $72 (on sale) at Marais USA: Last fall, it became very clear that I needed a black ankle boot that wasn't heeled. This is the perfect chelsea boot, at the perfect price.
Alyssa Vingan, Senior Editor
1. Shrimps Mabel colorblocked faux fur coat, $995 at Net-a-Porter: I've been on the hunt for a luxe faux fur coat since I moved to New York, and as soon as British label Shrimps popped up on my radar, I decided I should probably take the plunge. This color blocked version really caught my eye.
2. Petite Grand Loop and Drop earring, $120 at Zimmermann: These dainty chain earrings will be a subtle yet welcome addition to my ever-growing collection (I have five holes in one ear, six in the other).
3. Checked shirt, $69.90 at Zara: "Never Enough Flannels" could be the working title of my biography.
4. Stella McCartney ribbed wool beanie, $200 at Net-a-Porter: Beanies have become my signature winter accessory, and this version -- topped with the fluffiest looking ball -- is calling my name.
5. Admire Lace Up Boots, $100 at Topshop: Lace-up boots are at the very top of my shopping list, and this pair isn't too chunky -- and is at a great price point. I want to channel my inner Daria Werbowy and pair them with thick, grey socks that peek out of the top.
6. Frame Denim Le Skinny de Jeanne distressed jeans, $230 at Net-a-Porter: Jeans with just the right amount of distressing at the knee are harder to find than you'd think, but thanks to Frame Denim I don't have to look any further.
Steff Yotka, Market Editor
1. Topshop Faux Fur Animal Print Coat, $178 at Topshop: While Mick Jagger's love interests tend to be the ones of fashion icon status, I've decided to go for more of a Mick look for fall. This means furry coats, chunky sweaters, '70s-inspired tees and all the rocker booties I can get my hands on. I'll probably throw some Jackie Burkhart from "That's '70s Show" in too, for good measure.
2. Madewell Linen "Être / Ne Pas Être" Tee, $45 at Madewell: I have a soft spot for Madewell's comfortable and catchy tees, and this one is no exception. Plus, I mean, a Hamlet reference in French?! That truly appeals to the nerd in me.
3. Chloé Striped Sweater, $995 at Net-a-Porter: Stripes and a curved sleeve?! Yeah, I'm sold.
4. Gucci Leather Horsebit Ankle Boot, $1,100 at Gucci: While my heart might want a pair of winklepicker or chelsea boots, my brain tells me that as a person on the shorter side, the more heel the better. These Gucci botties have just the right amount of '60s lead singer feel to get the job done.
5. Frame Denim "Le Garçon" Slim Boyfriend Jeans, $210 at Net-a-Porter: Boyfriend jeans are my favorite silhouette (so much so that I regularly shop for pants in the men's section), and these Frame ones are the ultimate. They are jet black, have a gold contrast button and would look so cool with those Gucci booties or just with bare feet and a ripped tee.
Tyler McCall, Assistant Editor
1. Black leather moto jacket, $425 at Banana Republic: So I thought I knew what I wanted for fall, and then this W Magazine editorial came out and I scrapped everything -- everything, I tell you! -- in its wake. Now I just want to look like a badass schoolgirl cutting class (which I most definitely was not), and the most key ingredient to that look is a leather jacket. I like this one because it's not overly detailed.
2. Over the knee socks, $9.67 at ASOS: To be worn for extra attitude/warmth over...
3. Sixty-Six Tights, $48 at Wolford: Fishnet tights. Maybe I'm going to smoke in the bathroom and make out with a boy under the bleachers. WHO KNOWS?!
4. Cynthia Steffe Ponte Sheath, $198 at Nordstrom: Basically my dream is to own about 100 sleeved dresses with Peter Pan collars, for that Alexa Chung je ne sais quoi.
5. Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, $26 at Sephora: The key to pulling this look off is roughing up my normally sleek locks. A nice healthy dousing in surf spray ought to do the trick. That, and the aforementioned under-the-bleachers makeout sesh.
6. Saint Laurent Patti croc-effect leather boots, $1,495 at Net-a-Porter: The dream part of this ensemble, these boots are just edgy enough while still maintaining a girly vibe thanks to the little details.
Eliza Brooke, Staff Writer
1. Belstaff Rorrington oversized sweater, $495 at Net-a-Porter: More than I'll spend on a sweater, but ME-YOW! Look at that oversized knit. Look at it.
2. Steven Alan Dayer glasses in charcoal crystal, $195 at Steven Alan: I've been on the market for a new pair of glasses for a while, but it's been hard to find a pair that makes me want to ditch my contacts on a daily basis. I dig the grayish lucite look of these: Bookish, but surprising.
3. Mac lipstick in Russian Red, $16 at Nordstrom: Beauty-wise, fall is all about no eye makeup with a matte, deep red lip for me. This would be that.
4. Acne Studios Lark lace-up oxfords, $596 at Shopbop: I have been salivating over these for MONTHS. They've got the perfect weight at the bottom — I hate women's oxfords that sit flat on the ground like elf shoes — and the pointy toe is perfect.
5. Free People high rise roller crop jeans, $68 at Shopbop: Although any pair of high-waisted black jeans will do. Free People happens to fit my butt.
Nina Frazier Hansen, Creative Director
1. Brooks Brothers Non-Iron Regular Fit Dress Shirt, $195, available at Brooks Brothers: A loose-fitting, structured button-down will never go out of style -- especially one that can stay crisp all day. I've continued to update my closet every couple of years with Brooks Brothers dress shirts (specifically men's). Maybe this year I'll even add one of those dapper little monograms.
2. Lucite Bubble Umbrella, $18, available at Urban Outfitters: A clear cage umbrella is the only effective umbrella I've used in the city. It keeps me fully protected from the rain and still allows me to dodge oncoming tourists.
3. Maria La Rosa Striped-Toe Mid-Calf Socks, $150, available at Barneys: These cashmere and silk blend socks are how I want to keep my toes warm on weekends spent indoors. Tiny sweaters for my feet!
4. Kenzo motorcycle boots, $619 ($315 on sale), available at Solestruck: Durable low-heeled black boots that will get me from the office to dinner afterward and match all my best leather jackets and skirts? Yep, talked myself into buying these before I could even finish writing the sentence.
5. Le Specs Chesire sunglasses, $80, available at Zappos: I've had my eye on these all summer, but I'm taking the plunge for fall on a pair of sunglasses with lucite frames and hyper-reflective lenses. They'll go beautifully with all those changing leaves.
Lauren Sherman, Editor at Large
1. The Row English Rib Ismenia Sweater, $1,390 at Barneys New York: I recently visited the Row's LA store with the glassed-in courtyard pool, etc., so basically everything is different now. Meaning all I want to wear is the Row, especially this jumper.
2. A.P.C. Sportswear Chinos, $250 at A.P.C.: Pants with an elastic waistband? I'll take it!
3. Ilia lipstick in Perfect Day, $26 at Ilia: This limited-edition coral red will complete my collection.
4. Creatures of Comfort Therese Skirt, $334 at Creatures of Comfort: So many possibilities with this skirt. All of them good.
5. Acne Studios Envier Jacket, $950 at Saks Fifth Avenue: Never enough coats. This will be great for "transitional" days.
6. Mansur Gavriel Mini Bucket Bag, $610 at Mansur Gavriel: Legitimately looks fresh -- such an overused word! -- in lipstick red.
Cheryl Wischhover, Beauty Editor at Large
1. Cyrene Shirtdress, $117.60 at Trademark: This dress is technically from the summer collection, but I bought it on sale and I plan to wear it with tights for autumn and winter. I call the look "fun schoolmarm."
2. iPhone 6, available (maybe) at Apple: I'm dying for the iPhone 6, the unicorn of smart phones. My 4S battery lasts about 3 hours and the camera is terrible. I'm ready for an upgrade.
3. Vince Asymmetric Shearling Coat, $2,495 at Bergdorf Goodman: Everything about this shearling coat is perfect.
4. Joe's 'Abby' Cutout Leather Booties, $198.95 at Nordstrom: I'm not really into dress cutouts, but the idea looks completely fresh on a pair of black booties. I don't really need another pair of black booties, but fall fashion for me is not necessarily about "need."
5. Proenza Schouler PS Large Courrier, $1,775 at Barneys New York: So far I've purchased three dresses for fall and they're all some shade of green. I want to finish off my monotone theme with this army green Proenza Schouler PS Large Courier bag.