Founded in 1984, Free People is a boutique women’s fashion label that operates ecommerce, retail, and wholesale businesses. Free People is the fastest growing URBN brand and has a vibrant ecommerce platform including web, mobile and a newly released iPhone app. Free People is frequently recognized as an industry leader from a technical, creative and innovative perspective. Free People’s retail business includes over 80 boutique stores and its Wholesale business includes over 1,400 specialty boutiques and department stores across the globe. Free People is an inspiring shopping experience for the stylish, confident, and curious young woman who appreciates our distinctive assortment of apparel and accessories.
Reports to: Senior Manager Brand Marketing
Free People’s BLDG 25 Blog combined with our social media presence across leading platforms is where we share the Free People lifestyle with millions of customers globally The Editorial & Social Team leads this amazing enterprise, working to inspire, motivate and enrich the lives of our Free People customer. This amazing team of writers, photographers, creative visionaries and social media experts is a key component of what makes Free People today’s leading lifestyle brand.
We are hiring an experienced Editorial Manager to lead the social and blog team and set creative social direction for the Free People brand. The Editorial Manager is responsible for the management of our renowned BLDG 25 blog as well as Free People’s social media presence across multiple leading platforms. This person will own the editorial and social calendars, working with the team and contributors to identify new content concepts and pitch campaigns and innovative partnerships that will increase awareness of Free People. This position requires a balance of creative thinking, marketing and business planning and execution. The Editorial Manager will be responsible for the aesthetic, including content and layout, of the blog and all social channels. Working collaboratively with various teams, as well as internal and external partners, this person will be responsible for developing the strategy around social media and BLDG 25 blog.
This role reports to the Senior Brand Manager and will manage a distributed team comprised of Editorial & Social Media Specialists. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a group of creative, talented individuals who are passionate about the Free People lifestyle.
• Set strategy and direction for BLDG25 blog and Free People’s global social presence
• Drive engagement and customer/follower acquisition on the BLDG25 Blog and all Free People social channels
• Lead the redesign of the BLDG25blog, incorporating best practices while partnering with internal teams. Manage an external development agency towards timelines and deliverables
• Collaborate across Free People departments to develop, define and execute content strategy Create and maintain monthly and annual editorial and production calendars, ensuring all deliverables are executed on time
• Oversee the layout, appearance, and content, edit/proof all stories and images to ensure quality, clarity and on-brand style
• Identify content opportunities and generate new ideas to drive traffic to the blog, Free People’s sites and social media channels
• Ensure consistency with brand values across the various channels including: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram, BLDG25 Blog
• Partner with Analytics and SEO teams to understand performance and effectiveness of various social and blog campaigns,
• Analyze and respond to traffic data and track metrics, reporting out on weekly and monthly performance. Ensure the distribution and discoverability of Free People content across multiple channels including social media, and search and more
• Manage and promote acquisition of new readership and sessions to the blog through the execution of weekly/daily newsletters
• Manage the team’s budget and partner with Senior Manager during annual budget cycle to create budgets for the team
• Work with PR team to ensure maximum, brand appropriate, reach for content. Initiate strategies and concepts for brand and blog partnerships
• Manage staff including a team of globally distributed freelance writers and social media specialists
• Negotiate terms with various vendors
• A minimum of 5 years editorial management experience in leading online publication
• A minimum of 3 years of management experience, specifically, managing and directing the work efforts of 3 or more individual contributors
• A minimum 3 years of social media experience across all current social media platforms including Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Youtube, Google +, Snapchat. Strong preference for candidates with international experience (e.g. Weibo, Wechat, Line, etc)
• High attention to detail, outstanding grammatical skills, and strong ability to critique and improve photo and video content
• Ability to mentor more junior team members in writing, photography, video, editing and marketing principals.
• Highly organized: experience building and managing project schedule, marketing launches, budgets
• Proven ability to analyze data and create plans to impact traffic
• Photography skills preferred
• Proven success in writing, pitching, and placing content articles
• Preferred experience in online publication/news media outlets
• 5 years of experience working with Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Photoshop
• Strong interest in the Free people lifestyle and specialty retail
Education : College/University degree (BS) in Communications, English
Location: Philadelphia, PA
CLICK HERE TO APPLY