When you live in a city with such extreme seasons as New York, it's impossible to rely on one set of rain gear to get you through the entire year. You'll end up either freezing and wet or sweaty and wet — and neither of those scenarios is very pleasant.
Rain preparation in the summer time is particularly challenging because you want to be covered and water-resistant, but stay cool. One option is quirky transparent rain jackets and short rain boots. If you aren't interested in clomping around in boots all day, jelly sandals will also make it through a summer shower without permanent damage. Throw your daily purse in a resilient tote bag or backpack and grab a transparent bubble umbrella for maximum visibility and mobility. You can also invest in some rain gear that is more brightly-colored, and thus, summer-appropriate.
Shop our summer rainwear picks below.
1. Sun Jellies Originals, $22.05, available at Sun Jellies.
2. Totes Bubble Umbrella, $26, available at Macy's.
3. Nau jacket, $155, available at Nau.
4. Fjallraven 16L Kanken Nylon Backpack, $95, available at Luisaviaroma.com.
5. Michael by Michael Kors Jelly Sandals, $59, available at Macy's.
6. London Undercover Bamboo Cane Olive Folded Umbrella, $90, available at Opumo.
7. Theory Slicker TS Coat in Turin, $297 (from $495), available at Theory.
8. Maison Michel Lara Faux Pearl-Embellished PVC hood, $345, available at Net-a-Porter.
9. Hunter Original Women's Moustache Cape, $195, available at Hunter.
10. Hunter Original Short Rainboots, $138, available at Hunter.
11. Topshop Gold Glitter Plastic Rain Mac, $85, available at Topshop.
12. The Handbag Raincoat in Medium, $28, available at Shopbop.
13. Helly Hansen Women's Midsund Boot, $59.95, available at Moosejaw.