Holiday gift giving, while meant to be fun, can be pretty stressful. Aside from the cost, there's also the perennial problem of finding a present that would be well-loved and useful for each person on your list. While there really isn't such a thing as a foolproof gift, we'd imagine some beauty products come pretty close. Who wouldn't want a luxurious eye cream or (cheap) face masks? So, in the spirit of the holiday season, we asked 11 of the industry's top beauty editors to tell us what products they'd want for the holidays. Considering that they each sift through hundreds of goodies each season, we'd say these are pretty safe bets.
Deena Campbell, Hair and Beauty Editor at Essence.com
1. Glam Glow The Big Book of Sexy, $389, available at Sephora: I'm such a sucker for skin care and this 10-piece collection of Glam Glow favorites is the ultimate holiday must-have. From cleansers to eye treatments to exfoliators, this set puts you on the right track for a healthy-looking complexion.
2. Jo Malone Travel Candle Collection, $110, available at Nordstrom: Everyone who knows me knows that I'm obsessed with candles. This collection is by far one of my favorites because the smell lingers in my apartment long after I blow out the flame.
3. The Original Makeup Eraser, $20, available at Sephora: Removing makeup is such a chore, but this fool-proof makeup remover cloth rids makeup in an instant. And when you're as busy as I am, saying it's "heaven sent" is a major understatement.
4. Tom Ford 4-Piece Lip Color Gift Box, sold out (Alternatively, try Tom Ford Lip Color, $52, available at Nordstrom.): This collection is the Rolls-Royce of lipsticks. I'm not too big on colorful shades but this mashup speaks to my love for pinks and reds.
5. DevaCurl’s Winter Curl Survival Kit, $40, available at Ulta Beauty: No-Poo Decadence and One Condition Decadence are my go-tos for the holidays and, to be honest, all year-round. In fact, their iconic no-poo cleanser and one condition are featured in ESSENCE’s Beauty Box.
Faith Xue, Managing Editor at Byrdie.com
1 -3. Herbivore Lapis Face Oil, $72; Coco Rose Lip Conditioner, $22; Pink Clay Exfoliating Mask, $22, available at Herbivore: I stumbled across this brand while searching for a story on the best products on Etsy, and fell in love with the packaging of, well, everything. I'm a lip balm fiend, so this rosy tint [of the lip conditioner] is right up my alley, but so is the exfoliating mask and intriguingly ocean-blue face oil.
4. Tom Ford Lip Color, $52, available at Nordstrom: Anything from Tom Ford Beauty. Just anything.
5. Byredo Inflorescence, $145, available at Neiman Marcus: I fell in love with this heady, dreamy scent at first sniff. With notes like jasmine, lily of the valley, pink freesia and rose petals, it somehow still manages to be not too floral.
6. Hansderma Skincool Ice Roller, $30, available at Amazon: My VP introduced me to this product, which you roll over your face in times of need (rushed mornings, post-workout, etc.). The ice gets rid of puffiness and tightens skin in a flash — like contouring, without makeup.
7. Ling Jade Roller, $90, available at Ling: For a more splurge-worthy option, this Jade Roller from Ling would find the happiest home on my vanity...
Angelique Serrano, Beauty Director at InStyle
1. Christian Louboutin Lip Colour, $90, available at Nordstrom: My magnetic attachment to lipstick began young, and it’s only intensified as I've grown into my 30s. So you can just imagine my intense desire for each of the 38 shades of Christian Louboutin Lip Colour. But for now, let's start with the Silky Satin Rouge Louboutin shade for a cool $90.
2. Prada Studded Round-Frame Sunglasses, $565, available at Saks Fifth Avenue: These round, studded frames from Prada are completely eye-catching, yet – in a sleek black shade – are not jarring to any outfit.
3. Diptyque Un Air De Diptyque, $350, available at Barneys New York: I am forever looking for chic ways to scent my home, and this diffuser is high on my list. I love to decorate my apartment in tones of white and gray, so this simplistic and minimalist design will fit right into my décor.
4. Charlotte Tilbury The Gift of Red Carpet Skin Travel Kit, $85, available at Charlotte Tilbury: I've long been a fan of makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury. Her color cosmetics are rich and luxurious, and her peptide-packed Magic Cream is a soothing gift from the dermatological gods. So when I spied her Red-Carpet collection (filled with a mini Magic Cream, refreshing clay mask, powerhouse cleanser, plus her face and body luminizers), I knew I had found a kit worth coveting.
Joanna Douglas, Senior Editor at Yahoo Beauty
1. Dolce & Gabbana Passion Eyes Mascara, $29.50, available at Sephora: I have totally mediocre, nothing-special-about-them eyelashes, yet using this tube has landed me compliments at least once a week for the past few years. It creates the perfect long, full, defined lashes that don’t clump or flake, and comes off without tugging. I can’t imagine using anything else, so some back stock would be awesome.
2. Chanel N°5 Grand Extrait Crystal, $15,000, available at Chanel: Chanel N°5 is the most beautiful product ever made. (Don’t even try to fight me on this one.) The brand just launched this massive, limited-edition, crystal bottle, which contains a whopping 30.5 oz of the iconic fragrance. It’s essentially the coolest conversation piece you could ever have. There’s only 50 in the world, and I think one of them needs to live with me.
3. Saint Laurent Monogram Small Lipstick-Print Leather Camera Bag, $805, available at Saks Fifth Avenue: A crossbody bag in a lipstick print is basically the purse I didn’t realize I’ve been looking for all my life.
4. Sylvain Le Hen Barrette in Rose Gold, $58, available at Rennes: I’m really over the beachy bedhead look, and loving sleek, shiny hair for winter. This metallic accessory would be the perfect way to add polish.
5. The 4-hand Impériale Relaxing Massage at the Guerlain Spa in the Walford Astoria Hotel, $430-$590: I got this ultra-indulgent massage last summer, and I’m still dreaming about it.
Erin Flaherty, Beauty & Health Director at Marie Claire
1. Tom Ford Oud Wood, $535, available at Bloomingdales: Everyone knows my absolute favorite fragrances are by Tom Ford. I've never met one I didn't like, but I am particularly partial to smoky, badass Oud Wood, and aspire to one day own the supersized 250ml bottle.
2. Luli Tonix Black Magic: Activated Charcoal Elixir, $9, available at Luli Tonix: My fridge is lined with LuliTonix juices to detox from the holidays. I love the greenies, charcoal-infused lemonade and turmeric milk.
3. Dior Addict Lip Glow, $33, available at Sephora: I'd love my stocking lined with Dior Lip Glows. Best. Lip. Balm. Ever.
4-6. Nest Holiday Classic Candle, $38, available at Nordstrom; Hermes The Shop Around the Corner Candle, $450, available at Hermes; Ellis Raven Candle, $60, available at Ellis: When winter comes, I'm all about busting out the fancy candles. My seasonal go-to is Nest's classic holiday one — the pine and cloves blend summons the hot-toddy-in-front-of-the-Christmas-tree experience. I love the Hermes The Shop Around the Corner candle, an earthy fragrance sheathed in an insanely chic sculptural ceramic holder. And I just discovered a new line called Ellis by a fellow beauty editor, Bee Shapiro. The Raven candle is a dark and mysterious mix of patchouli and musks.
7. Charlotte Olympia Cat Nap, $695, available at Saks Fifth Avenue: And finally, because beauty sleep is the most important part of the equation: A luxe sleeping mask. Charlotte Olympia has a divine mask and slipper set.
Dana Oliver, Executive Fashion and Beauty Editor at The Huffington Post
1. Stuart Weitzman Highland Over the Knee Boots, $798, available at Nordstrom: My "Morning Catwalks" on SnapChat are missing these highly coveted boots.
2. Diptyque Paris Baies Noir Candles, $90, available at Diptyque: This has to be one of my favorite home fragrances. I love to light this candle to unwind after a long, stressful day or when preparing for an intimate evening at home.
3. Belle Butters Whipped Shea Butter, $14, available at Belle Butters: Someone who shall remain nameless stole a jar of this creamy shea butter from my medicine cabinet. So, I'd love more than anything to unwrap a box filled with heavenly scented Belle Butters. My skin NEEDS this to stay healthy and hydrated all winter long.
4. Unlimited Paintbox Gift Card: The manicurists at this posh SoHo salon are always ahead of the trends. It's a great place to retreat for a fashion-forward mani that lasts longer than a SnapChat story.
5. Monthly private makeup session with Sir John: He's more than just Queen Bey's makeup artist. Sir John is a talented and humble human being. I've had the pleasure of sitting in many a makeup artist's chair, but I'll never forget the feeling I had after he first showed me how a few subtle changes to my normal routine can make a tremendous difference.
Megan McIntyre, Beauty Director at Refinery29.com
1. Peter Thomas Roth's Camu Camu Power Cx30 Vitamin C Brightening Sleeping Mask, $62, available at Ulta: After a particularly bad breakout, which left me with post-acne inflammation (aka red marks) all over my cheeks, I tried everything to make those bad boys fade. It was only when I got to this that I saw any relief — and when I say relief, I mean instant. I woke up the next morning and was flabbergasted by how much better my my face looked.
2-3. OCC's Loose Colour Pugment in Burning, $14, available at OCC; Jeffree Stars Unicorn Blood Velour Liquid Lipstick, $18, available at Jeffree Stars: The thing that jumped to the top of my list was a velvet lip. We saw this cool trend on the spring runways — it involves patting a loose color pigment over top of a matte lip stain for a sueded effect that instantly made it onto my makeup mood board. So what I really want for Christmas is a combo of Jeffree Stars Unicorn Blood Velour Liquid Lipstick and OCC's Loose Colour Pigment in Burning.
4. Amanda Lacey's Incredible Pink Serum, available at Amanda Lacey: It's basically the end-all be-all of serums — it has an opalescent finish that adds a literal glow to your face while diffusing fine lines and pigmentation. Also, it costs about as much as a nice dress, and I'm pretty sure I would get more wear out of this one?
5. The Perricone Prescription by Dr. Perricone, $13.52, available at Amazon. I'm not usually one for reading skin care advice, but one of my co-workers went on the diet for a story and after seeing her before and after pictures, I immediately put it on my wish list.
Kathleen Hou, Senior Beauty Editor at The Cut
1. Sisley Supremya Eyes At Night, $315, available at Net-a-Porter: This fancy Sisley eye cream goes really big (and comes with a price tag to match), but it is the Rolls-Royce of eye creams, with a supremely creamy texture without being oily. After applying this at night, I wake up with the under eyes of a restful puppy who has spent 70% of its day sleeping.
2. Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet Lipstick, $36, available at Chanel: I love their packaging and their texture, a super-saturated pigment that gives your lips a hi-def quality. Each of the colors is incredibly rich while still being moisturizing, and two applications is enough to make your lipstick a Stage 5 clinger even throughout a meal.
3. Cire Yrudon Abd El Kader Candle, $95, available at Candle Delirium: This candle smells unlike anything you have ever smelled before, with an intoxicating mix of crushed mint leaves mixed with jasmine tea, and the subtlest hint of vanilla. This isn't Doublefresh mint though — this is an intoxicating scent that smells more green than crisp and biting like toothpaste.
4. ModelFit session: Don't let the name scare you: This has been my favorite workout from the past two years. Created by Justin Gelband, who has trained up to five girls for each Victoria's Secret runway show, this is a low-impact Pilates and yoga-inspired workout that focuses on thoughtful, mindful movement. Some workout classes are all about doing more, more, more, but ModelFit focuses on doing less and quality rather than quantity.
5. Cle de Peau Beaute Facial in Tokyo: Last year while on vacation, I had a magical facial at the Shiseido flagship in Tokyo. For over two hours, my esthetician examined every pore with obsessive OCD-level detail, finishing it off with a Vanilla Sky-like clay mask that should have creeped me out but instead gave me creamy moisturized skin for days.
Lindsey Unterberger, Executive Editor at Lipstick.com
1. Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Cream, $100, available at Charlotte Tilbury: At the top of my list is a giant tub of Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Cream. Right now, I just hoard every little sample container that comes my way and only dip into one in an emergency situation (a plane ride over four hours, a hangover I don't have time to nurse, etc.).
2. Frette 1860 Superb Shawl Collar Bathrobe, $295, available at Frette: My current bathrobe does the exact opposite of making me feel like I'm in a fancy hotel or spa, so I've been on the hunt for a new one. I've had my eye on this Frette 1860 Superb Shawl Collar Bathrobe ever since I was gifted two of the brand's absurdly luxe towels.
3. Diptyque Baies Candle, $60, available at Barneys New York: I know this is such an expected thing to say, but I really can't get enough Diptyque Baies candles. There's nothing better than lighting one at the end of a long day, opening a bottle of red wine, and settling in for the night with my husband and dog.
4. Glamsquad blowout: If I could choose one thing to never do again, it would be my hair. Short of a live-in hairstylist, I would kill for a year's supply of Glamsquad blowouts.
5. Caudalie Vinotherapie Spa: Oh, and if anyone close to me wins the lottery anytime soon, let's take a trip to the Caudalie Vinotherapie Spa in Bordeaux. The Premier Cru Facial sounds divine!
Cheryl Wischhover, Beauty Editor at Large at Fashionista.com
1-2. 7-day Mask Challenge, $25, available at Sokoglam; Leaders Sheet Masks, $4 - $6, available at Ulta: What I am planning to give a lot of people this year is Korean sheet masks. They are easy, inexpensive, and have a certain wow factor. What has more impact — snail slime or a scented candle? Plus they're like opening a new, albeit gooey, little present every time you use one.
3. Angled Mechanical Brow Pencil, $30, available at Sania's Brow Bar: Whatever the antonym for "fleek" is, is what my brows are currently on at the moment. I would like a monthly standing reservation with the talented Sania, who has plucked SJP and Rihanna, at her jewelbox of a little brow bar. Barring that, her great angled eye pencils would be fine, too.
4. Personal chef, $23.75/portion, available at Kitchensurfing: I hate to cook, and yet want my family to eat something that is not frozen waffles for dinner (it happens), takeout pizza (happens A LOT), or something that requires me to do much more than press a button. (I'm not admitting how often this happens.) Someone told me about a service called Kitchensurfing, where a chef will bring his/her own pots and pans and whip you up dinner within 30 minutes once or twice a week. This is my ultimate luxury.
Katie Becker, Senior Beauty Editor at Harper's Bazaar
1. MiN New York Chef’s Table Eau De Parfum, $240, available at MiN New York: This fragrance is ridiculously fresh-smelling, like laying in a dreamy garden in the summer — my idea of heaven no matter the season. Most people know the MiN fragrance boutique from wandering down Crosby street, but they have started making their own scents and all 16 are jaw-dropping gorgeous.
2. Rodin Kaleidoscope Set, available at Rodin: Everyone loves luxurious Rodin skin and hair products. The hand cream? There's nothing better. My one big point of tension here: I want everything inside this rainbow packaging, yet I never want to unwrap them. Don't you just dream of a bathroom lined with shelves and shelves of these?
3. Giorgio Armani Maestro Blush Brush, $75, available at Barneys New York: When I'm not using this for makeup, I'll probably just stroke it against my cheek when I'm bored. It's one of the most delicious brushes I've felt and a must have.
4. Massage at Spa Nalai at the Park Hyatt: If you truly love me, book me with time with Tayana Balic. She makes me feel so good I could cry.
Emily Gaynor, Digital Beauty Editor at Teen Vogue
1. Givenchy Le Soin Noir Lace Face Masks, $330, available at Barneys New York: They are a perfect present for any beauty junkie who performs a nightly sheet mask ritual. The Calais lace is beautiful and slightly terrifying, so it’s great for scaring your pets, friends, significant others… all while you're hydrating and firming with the brand's signature black algae sap.
2. Cire Trudon Gabriel Candle, $105, available at Cire Trudon. Cire Trudon candles are the prettiest decorations, and the Christmas collection perfectly captures the scents of the season. My favorite is Gabriel, a woody aroma that definitely makes up for the fact that I don't have a fireplace in my cozy apartment.
3. Fresh Sugar Lip Love Story, $73, available at Barneys. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatments are always on my wish list, since I go through them so quickly, especially in winter. These minis are great for stashing in every single purse or pocket, so you'll never have chapped lips. Plus, their subtle hint of color is so gorgeous.
4. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540, available at Maison Francis: I was walking by the beauty closet at Teen Vogue the other day, and I smelled the most amazing scent. I sprayed every single perfume until I found the one: Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540. It technically launched last year with Baccarat to celebrate the brand's 250th anniversary. There were only 250 available. Now, Francis Kurkdjian is bringing it back, and for a lot less money. It has notes of blood orange, citrus peel, saffron and ancient woods.