Reports to: Director of Communications
With a focus on generating awareness of The New School to external audiences, the Public Relations Manager will be responsible for creating, implementing and managing communications activities in the areas of fashion, performing arts and liberal arts.
Requires exceptional media relations (traditional and digital) and writing skills, with preferred experience in higher education, fashion and the arts. The capacity to meet the demands of a pivotal role in a large, urban institution, and energy to match the university's spirit of constant change is key to this role. The Public Relations Manager supports the overall goals of the university and the Communications team with other duties as needed.
- Creates and implements public relations strategies to promote university degree programs in liberal arts, fashion, and the performing arts. Supports execution of strategies to promote and communicate other academic programs and broader institutional initiatives.
- Leads execution and creation of media relations strategies to promote key institutional events including major speakers, annual fashion shows and galas, high profile events, and others.
- Confers with Director of Communications, AVP of Strategic Marketing, CMO, deans and academic program directors on communications plans that support the university’s central goals as well as other academic programs, faculty experts and public events.
- Works with Director of Brand Strategy and Community Manager to engineer social media and content campaigns that express the university’s positioning.
- Writes and disseminates press releases, backgrounders, faculty profiles, blog posts, talking points and other media content.
- Communicates clearly with journalists and conducts media training for academic and administrative spokespeople. Serves as university spokesperson on specific topics, as needed.
- Contributes to other projects directed by colleagues in the Marketing and Communication department, including web content, videos, promotional brochures, and strategic planning documents.
- Attends functions, events, programs, seminars, etc. which may occur after business hours or on weekends. Manages and liaises with on-site media and photographers.
- Develops relationships with journalists in all platforms and cultivates excellent working relationships with members of the news media.
- Special Projects and other duties as assigned by Director.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4-6 years communications experience. Must have experience in communications and media relations, including experience with social media and other media outlets required. Knowledge of fashion, performing arts and/or higher education a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including superior written and spoken communication.
- Must be adept at working both independently and in collaboration and be able to think strategically.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and work well under pressure
- Knowledge of E-mail, Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Presentation software (Microsoft Office preferred) Adobe PhotoShop.
- Ability to learn The New School’s systems including intranet and website.
- Strong follow-up skills with attention to detail and superior client service skills.
To apply for the position, please go to: https://careers.newschool.edu/postings/12539.