Here’s your chance to get outfitted by Cher Coulter. The celebrity stylist best known for dressing super chic clients like Kate Bosworth, Elizabeth Olsen, and Sienna Miller has recently teamed up with denim label AG for her own capsule collection–the first of AG’s new “Stylist Series.”
We were lucky enough to get a sneak peek of Cher Coulter x AG at Scoop NYC’s Meatpacking outpost late last week–and even engage in a little Q and A with the very busy lady of the hour. Read on for more about Coulter’s design ambitions, whether she’ll do reality tv, and clients who learn a little too much from her.
Read more →
Sulfates have been steadily gaining a bad rep in the beauty industry for the last few years. Why and what the heck are they?
Sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate and others are found in basically any cleaning product that lathers and foams: soaps, shampoos, bubble bath, toothpaste, and yes, oven cleaner. Here’s what’s known about sulfates:
1) They can irritate the scalp, skin, and eyes.
2)They strip the essential oils from hair, which is what gives you that squeaky clean feeling. But they also cause the hair to dry out and can lead to breaking and damage.
3) They can cause allergic reactions.
4) They’re bad for the environment (they can kill fresh water fish) and don’t break down easily.
5) The jury is still out on whether they’re carcinogens. Recent studies have shown that sulfates are safe to be applied or consumed, but other studies have shown that they turn into a carcinogen when combined with other chemicals. (Some of which, yes, are also found in shampoos). The FDA isn’t all that excited about it yet, and it remains a ubiquitous ingredient.
6) And yes, they can screw up your freshly minted Brazilian Blowout.
Lots of people have chosen to use sulfate-free shampoos and the market has responded with a slew of products. We offer you some choices here.
Read more →