With the recent release of Hole's first album in 12 years, and new(ish) ramblings about being Kate Moss's lover, it seems that Courtney Love has found a way to fling herself, tick-like, into the media once again.
So, in an attempt to stay sane as Courtney’s face continues to plague us, we proudly present: Five Things We Can Stand About Courtney Love. (And they said it couldn’t be done!)
1. She shops indie. Though she caught onto Etsy.com at least three years after the rest of us, we have to give her a hand for supporting all things handmade. Courtney has name-dropped a few of her favorite Etsy designers on numerous occasions, and one seller even implied that Courtney was downright easy to work with. We’ll have to check with her bandmates on that one, but at least she’s supporting independent designers. BoudoirQueen and Liaison seem to be among her faves.
2. She introduced us to the feathered ankle cuff. The feather ankle cuff is perhaps the biggest “why-didn’t-we-think-of-that?” object of the century. Courtney wears them proudly, even around the house. While we’re uncertain about the success rate of wearing such a thing on the street (especially the outrageously embellished numbers that Ms. Love is so taken with), the concept is certainly intriguing.
3. She did head-to-toe beige before the rest of us. Courtney showed up at Rodarte’s most recent show wearing an ensemble of beige… and there was nothing boring about it. While it’s difficult to say whether she’s following this trend or setting it, we can agree that she lends a rock sensibility to something normally synonymous with “tame.”
4. She sews. Not content to just buy handmade, apparently she makes it, too. Spin's recent interview with the self-proclaimed “town bitch” yielded a bit of interesting info--she sews. The jury’s out on what she sews, exactly (indecipherable piles of lace and tulle seem to be in high demand in Courtneyland) but there’s something kind of endearing about this realization. It’s like…finding out that Iggy Pop sends birthday cards. Or something.
5. She knows her look. Though we're not sure how, exactly, Courtney has managed to convince us that not brushing one’s hair is a style, she certainly does stand by her convictions. Ms. Love has never fallen into the trap of being a fashion chameleon. In fact, she may still be wearing the same boots from 1997. In any case, she reminds us that being adaptable is a virtue, but having your own style opinion is what makes you an icon. And, to be sure, no one could accuse Courtney of not having an opinion.