When we think of Oscar de la Renta, we don't think trendy. Yet that's what we got at his Resort 2011 runway show. What we observed:
1. Lindsey Wixson is most popular model of the season. She's been around for awhile now, but Lindsey Wixson is the star of the Resort shows. This trend is sure to carry on through September. 2. Straw hats, reminiscent of those worn by Coco Chanel, are de rigueur. Jason Wu showed them last week, Oscar showed them today, and we'll definitely see them during the Spring 2011 shows. The look is currently a favorite of Tokyo's Harajuku girls.
3. Don't say goodbye to stripes. The Breton stripe may feel burned, but de la Renta's not letting go just yet. He showed two navy and white striped sweaters that were too classically-styled to cast aside as a flash in the pan.
4. Ball gowns really are back. The third-to-last look, a kelly green ball gown, felt really modern, despite it's old-fashioned proportions. As did a short taupe dress with an exaggerated peplum attached.
5. When you want to sparkle, do it in black. There were sparkly non-black numbers, but the two jet cocktail dresses truly shined.
6. Desiree Rogers remains terribly chic and in-demand. Today's front row star sat next to another Oscar fan: Anna Wintour. **All photos by Ashley Jahncke.