Looking good for the workplace is a must, but it's so hot out that all we want to do is collapse in a heap under the nearest air conditioner. For those of us for whom that's not an option, thankfully there's good news: shorts can be work-appropriate. Here we round up our faves, plus six rules (and when to break them). So sit back, get a snow cone, and try to beat the heat by any means necessary for the weekend. But when Monday morning rolls around, we've got you covered.
1. Perfect The Pleat. Pleats are always dangerous business when it comes to pants, but Helmut Lang nails them here. We love the slightly-dressy feel of the gray paired with the practical, pseudo-utilitarian box pockets.
Helmut Lang, $89
2. Keep It Simple. If you're already a die-hard shorts enthusiast, chances are you already have a pair like these in your closet. However, if you're skeptical about shorts, this is the perfect pair for you. The clean lines and comforting neutral of this pair makes it perfect to take on multiple wardrobe tasks. This pair can even double as casual weekend wear, in a pinch. Theory, $180
3. Go Long. Just because we're advocating shorts doesn't mean you need to show up in the office looking like Daisy Duke Gone Corporate. In fact, quite the opposite-- a longer pair of shorts is inherently more dressy than a teeny pair. This pair by Vince is simple and chic, so you can pair it with anything you would normally wear slacks with.
4. Skirt The Issue. Still unconvinced? Try a more voluminous short for a skirt-like, feminine look. The high waist on this pair give it a slightly retro edge, making them the perfect day-to-night shorts.
Alice by Temperley, $195
5. Cue The Cuff. Who says a cuff needs to be casual? These slightly preppy cuffed shorts are thoroughly sophisticated, and made of heat-friendly linen. Pair them with a pop of tropical color and a white jacket for a business-casual look with island flair. Ann Taylor, $49.50
6. Don't Forget The Details. Since there's not much fabric to them, it's important to remember that your shorts should still pack a punch. This pair not only boasts buttons, but also has a smart herringbone pattern that instantly takes them up a notch. Think menswear meets military.
Bird by Juicy Couture, $260