We've become huge fans of the Hollywood Reporter over the last few months, mostly due to Janice Min's excellent makeover of the trade publication. Staffer Merle Ginsberg navigates the LA fashion scene with an entertaining mix of gossip, insider news, and general knowledge that is not only rare for the West Coast, but rare for fashion writing in general.
So we were thrilled to see Ginsberg's list of the 25 most powerful stylists in Hollywood covering this week's issue. Rachel Zoe obviously ranks number one, with names like Nicole Chavez, Annabel Tollman, Brad Goreski, Leslie Fremar, and Kate Young rounding it out. See the full list below, and read the Zoe cover story here.
1. Rachel Zoe Styles: Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Garner, Cameron Diaz Why She's Powerful: Duh. She's made a multi-million dollar business out of dressing people up.
2. Kate Young Styles: Natalie Portman Why She's Powerful: Young brings cool to the red carpet. Plus, she's dressing who is currently the most celebrated actress in the world.
3. Petra Flannery Styles: Zoe Saldana, Emma Stone Why She's Powerful: The red carpet is all about ingenues right now, and neither of these ladies has made a blunder.
4. Jen Rade Styles: Angelina Jolie, Pink, Cher, Jenna Fischer Why She's Powerful: Not only has Rade styled some of the biggest stars in the world, she's also the consummate professional. People like working with her.
5. Anna Bingeman Styles: Claire Danes, Naomi Watts, Gwyneth Paltrow Why She's Powerful: Bingeman gives slick blonds the kick they need: Whether that's Danes in a shocking pink Calvin Klein or Paltrow in a mini.
6. Cristina Ehrlich Styles: Julianna Margulies, Kyra Sedgwick, Amy Adams, Penelope Cruz Why She's Powerful: Ehrlich's look is a mix of old Hollywood glamor and utter modernity.
7. Deborah Waknin Styles: Halle Berry, Sandra Bullock Why She's Powerful: The women are photographed constantly, so they have to work with someone they really trust.
8. Elizabeth Stewart Styles: Cate Blanchett, Amanda Seyfried, Jennifer Lawrence Why She's Powerful: Stewart's been around for a long time, and she knows how to style different types of women and bodies.
9. Leslie Fremar Styles: Reese Witherspoon, Julianne Moore, Charlize Theron Why She's Powerful: Her fashion industry connections mean that Fremar's girls always wear the hottest designers. 10. Jeanne Yang Styles: Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise, Melissa Leo, Christian Bale Why She's Powerful: She styles Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.
11. Leith Clark Styles: Michelle Williams, Keira Knightly Why She's Powerful: The Lula editor isn't as well known for red carpet work as she is for her editorial and commercial spreads. But when you're dressing two of the most important actresses of their generation, who needs more clients?
12. Estee Stanley Styles: Jessica Biel, Lea Michelle, the Olsen Twins (well, at least she used to style the Olsen Twins) Why She's Powerful: Stanley thinks editorially when she dresses her clients. Lea Michelle is a princess, so she dresses her like a princess. Biel is powerful, so she puts her sexy Versace.
13. L’Wren Scott Styles: Nicole Kidman Why She's Powerful: The stylist-turned-designer's collection of dresses is beloved by her clients, and the clients of other stylists.
14. Jessica Paster Styles: Annette Bening, Emily Blunt Why She's Powerful: Who doesn't want to be either of those ladies? Case closed. 15. Rob Zangardi & Mariel Haenn Styles: Willow Smith, Rihanna, Rachel McAdams, Jennifer Lopez Why They're Powerful: This roster is wayyyy intimidating.
16. Maryann Malakpour Styles: Heidi Klum, Courtney Cox, The Rolling Stones Why She's Powerful: Um, because she beat out L'Wren Scott as the stylist to The Rolling Stones?
17. Tanya Gill Styles: Hillary Swank, Jane Fonda, (formerly) Kate Winslet Why She's Powerful: These red carpet regulars get plenty of exposure.
18. Tiina Laakonen Styles: Carey Mulligan Why She's Powerful: Because Carey Mulligan is IT right now. 19. George Kotsiopoulos Styles: Katy Perry, Kerry Washington, Kathryn Bigelow, Kristen Stewart Why He's Powerful: Kotsiopoulos has certainly dressed a unique mix of women. 20. Nicole Chavez Styles: Rachel Bilson, Kristen Bell, Katherine Heigl, Catherine Zeta Jones, and Scarlett Johansson Why She's Powerful: Chavez deserves to be further up on this list. Not only does she dress some of the biggest stars in the world, she's responsible for catapulting Bilson into the fashion stratosphere. 21. Annabel Tollman Styles: Jessica Simpson, Cynthia Nixon, (formerly) ScarJo Why She's Powerful: She does a ton of work outside of the red carpet, and made ScarJo the sex bomb that she is. 22. Brad Goreski Styles: Jessica Alba Why He's Powerful: Because he's Brad! Also, because he's incredibly talented. 23. June Ambrose Styles: Diddy, Jay Z, Mariah Carey Why She's Powerful: Diddy, Jay Z, Mariah Carey
24. Samantha McMillen Styles: Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfieffer Why She's Powerful: She styles powerful actors.
25. Simone Harouche Styles: Nicole Richie, Miley Cyrus, Christinia Aguilera Why She's Powerful: Richie went to Harouche after splitting from Zoe.
Stylists we were disappointed to see left off of the list: Kemal & Karla (who style the incredible Hailee Steinfeld), and Emily Current and Merritt Elliott (who style Emma Roberts and happen to be the founders/designers of Current Elliott)