After over a year of drama at Dior, Raf Simons finally made his much-anticipated debut, showing his first-ever couture collection for the house today in Paris. And everyone came to see it and support him. Here's everything we know about the show--from the setting, to the attendees (heavy on the designers), to the clothes, to the reactions--thanks to Twitter, Instagram, and the rather frustrating livestream, which died halfway through the show, but rallied just in time for the finale. Click through for all the juicy details.
Who was there: Loads of designers came out to support their colleague, which was really nice! Marc Jacobs, Donatella Versace, Diane von Furstenberg, Olivier Theyskens, Alber Elbaz, Riccardo Tisci, Chirstopher Kane, and Azzedine Alaïa were all there. Karl Lagerfeld wasn't, even though he attended Dior Homme--perhaps he's too busy prepping for Chanel couture, which shows tomorrow. Stella Tennant, Marion Cotillard, Sharon Stone, Jennifer Lawrence, Natalia Vodianova, Marisa Berenson, Melanie Laurent, and every editor--including Carine Roitfeld--were also there.
The setting: A series of salons with walls completely covered in monochrome flowers--blue orchids, white mimosas, roses and more. Business of Fashion overheard Anna Wintour say to Grace Coddington: "Isn't this amazing? A million flowers..."
The looks: It started out with black tailored looks, stiff peplums, wasp waists. Then came gowns with pointed bustlines, balloon skirts, tie dye, feathers, hand beading.
The reactions: We suspect we will be hearing the phrase "New New Look" quite a bit. Reactions are so far mixed--and many thought the collection reminded them of Raf Simons' last three shows--his couture trilogy--for Jil Sander, with some Dior codes (like the 'new look', bar jacket, etc.,) mixed in. Here's what the twittersphere had to say:
• @derekblasberg The Dior show just ended. In the last 13 minutes, Raf Simons just single-handedly altered the contemporary haute couture landscaped. Bravo!
• @katebetts: lots of poker faces in front row @Dior couture show--Raf Simons' first
• @Grazia_Live: The Dior Couture finale. Raf Simons nails it. http://twitpic.com/a324rr
• @susiebubble: Is it THE rapturous and monumental start to Raf's career at Dior we all expected though? I'm not sure....But the bustiers and the ballooning dresses were fantastic.... #diorhc...@dior - Minor niggle - a few looks felt like echo of Jil Sander A/W 12-3 (except I liked it better at JS...)
• @meenalmistry: Running to @harpersbazaarus but I think Raf delivered. A bit Nicolas G but they're mining the same Future/Couture vein. #dior
• @ninagarcia Take a look at this coat: very @dior and very Raf. I will always remember what I've seen today...A new start for @Dior.
• @DVF Raf Simmons did a SUPERB Dior show ! Very DIOR ! Another talented Belgian ! Love Diane
Click through to see the first looks from the show, and tell us what you think!