Imagine taking spin class for the first time in your life. Now imagine the other girls riding stationary alongside you are the Victoria's Secret Angels. Pretty intimidating, right? Well, that's exactly what I did last night at SoulCycle in Manhattan's Upper East Side for the 2nd Annual Supermodel Cycle ride--which donated 100% of its proceeds to the Pelotonia cancer charity bike ride in Columbus, Ohio. It was surreal, to say the least.
I kitted up in my fluoro-pink Victoria's Secret workout gear to chat with Angels Lindsay Ellingson, Erin Heatherton, Behati Prinsloo, my ultimate lady-crush Doutzen Kroes, and brand new spokes-angel Arlenis Sosa before we (ok, I) got our bums absolutely kicked by the seriously intense spin class. So what did I learn from my supermodel workout with the Angels?
• My bike neighbor Lindsay asked if I ever do cardio in my theoretical workouts. Ha! "Me neither!" she told me. All the luck, some people...
• Doutzen on sticking to the same workout routine: "When I like something, I continue to go. It's like a restaurant. You know?" Sure!
• Lindsay and Erin were the only Angels who had ever tried spinning before, for the same event last year.
• Not only was this Arlenis's first time spinning, but it was her first Victoria's Secret event ever (excluding the 2008 runway show)! She was an instant pro.
• Doutzen has often passed by the SoulCycle in TriBecA and felt curious about spin class. Note to self: Hang out around SoulCycle TriBecA.
• Erin promised to cheer me on amidst my impending fall off the spin bike. Supermodel support!
• Behati (who's rumored to be dating Adam Levine) didn't miss a pedal when a Maroon 5 song blasted through the speakers. Ooh, celeb spinning gossip!
• Lindsay's workout advice for us spin novices: "Wear as little clothing as possible... and just breathe. A lot."
• Doutzen listens to house music when she works out.
• Behati used to swim at school and still loves swimming whenever she's at the beach.
• Lindsay had a personal attachment to the event; she said a family member who had passed away from cancer was there "with her in spirit."
• As for summer plans? Doutzen's spending August in Spain with the fam, Behati's doing something "involving the ocean and a beach" (note: definitely not Rockaway), and Lindsay just got back from Croatia.
In summation: I would definitely not be opposed to becoming BFFs with each and every one of these girls--or maybe just becoming them? They may be Angels sent from heaven, but these PYTs are truly down to earth. And just for the record, if I never participate in a spin class again, it's not because I'm completely incapable of withstanding that sort of demanding, sweat-inducing, full body and soul workout--it's because I could never top the experience of being in such heavenly, perfectly bone-structured company as I was in last night. I swear, that's why.