It's hard to get a sense of footwear icon Manolo Blahnik's eccentric personality without meeting him in person, but Vanity Fair's John Heilpern does a pretty good job of conveying it in the latest "Out to Lunch" feature, in which we learned a little more about Carrie Bradshaw and Anna Wintour's favorite shoe designer.
• He has a knack for describing his own outfits--in this case, a “prairie-green lion-tamer Ringling Bros. circus suit," and "gangster brogues."
• Shoe design was in his genes. His mother made espadrilles for fun.
• He owns two adjoining homes in Bath, England that house 25,000 to 30,000 pairs of prototype Manolos. “I don’t live in a house. I live in a shoe museum! ‘Shoe mausoleum’ would be better! I lost about 300 in a flood in London. But it’s O.K. I saved some of them.”
• He's "totally allergic to wine and vinegar."
• He hates being famous: “Isn’t it awful? All the fames.”
• All of them: “I see my photo and I think I vomit!”
• And he doesn't think about money: “I love to work. I don’t have any life! But, you know, John, people of my generation, we didn’t think much about money. I believe that everything is done for the pleasure of doing it. I have that kind of mind, I think. Maybe I’m crazy.”