Look at the top 10 beauty videos on YouTube, and few of the spots belong to big-name beauty brands (with big ad budgets). Rather, it's makeup tutorials from beauty vloggers -- most shot on webcams at home -- that dominate the top of the list, a recent study from digital research firm L2 points out.
The number one spot went to Cassandra Bankson, a California-based model whose shockingly transformative, acne-covering makeup tutorial landed her a spot on the Today show last year. Currently her video, which was first posted in 2010 and is the first Google search result for "acne makeup tutorial," has 20,937,276 views. She's followed by Robert Pattinson's sexy Dior Homme fragrance video, which has garnered a respectable 14,368,643 views since being posted this past September.
Only three other videos produced by brands (rather than vloggers) cracked the top 10: Brad Pitt's ridiculed Chanel No. 5 commercial came in, fittingly, at number five -- proving that there's no such thing as bad publicity. Last year's adorable Prada Candy commercial starring Lea Seydoux came it at number eight with over 5 million views, and Justin Bieber brought a Proactiv video 5,295,543 hits. The rest of the top 10 is filled by various makeup tutorials, from one on leopard eyes to another on "clubbing makeup" by Michelle Phan. Go figure.
Interestingly, L2 found that rather than creating their own vidoes, many brands are piggybacking on the success of these tech-savvy amateurs by purchasing advertising on their vlogs. Revlon ads, for instance, were present on four of the 10 vlogger videos at the time of the study.
Check out the top 10 below.
1. Acne Foundation Routine Flawless Skin by Cassandra Bankson, DiamondsAndHeels14: 20,941,462 views
2. Dior Homme - Uncensored Official Director's Cut by Christian Dior: 14,374,568 views
3. Leopard Eyes: HD Makeup Tutorial by Jordan Libery: 12,945,957 views
4. Valentine’s Day Water Marble Nail Art Tutorial by My Simple Little Pleasures: 12,552,631 views
5. There You Are -- Chanel No. 5 Part 1 by Chanel: 8,193,691
6. Lea Michele Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorial by Makeup By Eman: 7,307,837 views
7. Clubbing Makeup Tutorial by Michelle Phan: 6,091,336 views
8. Makeup Tutorial For My Vlogs (for unskilled people) by JennaMarblesvlog: 5,723,072 views
9. Prada Candy Commercial by VideosPuig: 5,460,771 views
10. Justin Bieber Surprises Fans With Proactiv by JDrewBieberVEVO: 5,590,749 views