Barneys New York is pretty much the shopping destination for fashion fiends. And by extension, it's where you should go for those very same fashion fiends when it's that time of year to buy them a present. (And, guess what? It is!)
Enter Tomoko Ogura, the emporium's fashion director, who obviously knows a thing or two about the place. "At Barneys, you can find everything, from essentials to extravagances," she tells us. "You might not go in knowing what you are looking for, but there is an array of style and creative design that can trigger the thought of your friends or family."
For Ogura, that "aha" moment is what she loves most about the whole process. "The fun part of holiday shopping is imagining your loved one’s reaction as they open your gift," she says. "The perfect gift depends on the person, but the element of surprise is something I like to incorporate -- finding something that you know they’ll like but they don’t necessarily know they want."
With that in mind, we asked Ogura to put together a gift guide of her favorite items from the store -- including everything from cool finds under $200 (yes, it's possible!) to the things she wouldn't mind seeing under her own tree.
Shop Tomoko Ogura's Picks:
Best Gifts Under $200
2. Greg Lauren for Barneys New York fragrance, $195: "I love this fragrance not just because of its scent, but because I am inspired and energized hearing Greg Lauren speak so passionately about the entire process of making it. Greg himself has touched and hand-embellished every single bottle."
3. Smythson Panama passport cover, $195: "The Smythson Panama collection offers the perfect pop of color -- it won’t get lost at the bottom of your carry-on while traveling."
4. Ovando candle in Xochimilco, $60: "An Ovando candle is a great hostess gift. Each scent is inspired. The hint of cedarwood in this one makes you feel like you’re escaping the city into nature."
5. Converse X Maison Martin Margiela red organic cotton high top sneaker, $200: "It’s the sneaker that will transform as you wear it and the paint starts chipping away."
Best Gifts for Men
1. Golden Bear classic varsity jacket, $450: "The must-have jacket of the season, Golden Bear’s refined take on the classic style pairs well with casual denim or sleek black trousers."
2. Barneys New York cufflinks, $375: "Update a classic evening look with silver and enamel dotted cufflinks."
3. Barneys New York card case, $295: "Our alligator card case in deep green makes a subtle but lasting statement."
4. Officina del Tempo watch, $765: "Made in Italy with sapphire crystal and Italian leather, this watch mixes the right amount of sport with minimal design."
5. Tramontano canvas duffel bag, $625: "Our go-to weekend duffel has a light hand and luxurious details."
Best Gifts If You're Actually Shopping for Ogura
1. Eva Fehren 18K gold and black diamond Saber studs, $1695: "I like the delicate edge of these earrings."
2. Globe-Trotter carry-on trolley in grey with navy leather trim and in red with black leather trim, $2,255 each: "I love that Globe-Trotter has been doing the same thing for over 100 years and they continue to design modern yet timeless pieces."
3. Inoue Brothers plaid throw, $395: "A rainbow-bright combination made from the softest South American alpaca to keep me cozy through the colder months."
4. Givenchy snakeskin slip-on sneaker, $1,270: "For the sneaker-lover that I am, these are distinguished from everything else I have in my closet."
5. Pierre Hardy clutch, $975: "It’s the bag that can pair back to neutrals -- black, white and/or grey."
Best Gifts for the Fashion-Obsessed
1. Barneys New York fox fur vest, $2,975: "In a season of black and white, this striped fur vest is a standout."
2. Reece Hudson croc-stamped Bondage minaudière, $1345: "You won’t leave your bag behind if you're carrying this one."
3. Rock Star Chic: The Dark Side of High Fashion, $195: "If you’re obsessed with fashion and rock ‘n' roll, this cannot be overlooked. Patrice Farameh’s curation is a fantastic exploration into the modern rock aesthetic."
4. K/ller Collecction engraved brass nail set, $450: "These are undeniably a bold embellishment. For the person who loves fashion and has it all."
5. Gianvito Rossi sandal, $760: "This sandal is playful and elegant at once."
Best Splurge-Worthy Gifts
1. Illesteva Charlie backpack, $2,650: "If you’re an urban citizen, a backpack is the functional choice of bag. Commute in style with this camo-printed python version."
2. Ana Khouri diamond and rose gold Libertines earrings, $20,730: "A stunning style from Ana Khouri. She is devoted to socially and environmentally responsible design, and a portion of the profits of these earrings will be donated to benefit the local artisans of Sao Paulo, Brazil."
3. Fernando Jorge diamond and white gold band, $2,740: "We’re excited to introduce this new jewelry collection, which incorporates Brazilian materials and elements. The fluidity of Fernando Jorge’s chain -- both modern and organic in feel -- is what drew us in."
4. 3Lab Super Cream, $875: "It’s the ultimate skin-booster and aging combatant. Certainly worth the splurge."