Any time Jennifer Lawrence steps onto a red carpet, she's guaranteed to get a lot of attention. She's just that beloved. But add a new (somewhat controversial) pixie cut and an uber-popular movie franchise, and you have a frenzy on your hands.
Such was the case over the last week as a primarily-Dior-clad J.Law hit premiere after premiere all over Europe, finally landing here in the United States for one last sartorially show-stopping red carpet appearance to promote The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
The key words that pop up in article after article? Pixie, pantsless, sheer and side boob. Those four things plus Lawrence equal internet magic. We compiled tons of reviews and comments from our colleagues all over the Web (with our own two cents thrown in, obviously) and used them to rank and rate her press junket looks in descending order.
Berlin, November 14, wearing Dior Resort 2014:
• "...she selected a pale-blue double-breasted coat with pink-and-blue embroidered and printed guipure panels on the skirt from the Resort 2014 collection for a simple, stylish and weather-appropriate look...I am surprised many of you are not warming to her new pixie cut; I think it gives her overall look a fresh feel." [Red Carpet Fashion Awards]
• "All we know is, this look is not doing her any real favors. She doesn’t look horrible so much as she just looks bland – and we all know she’s easily capable of looking dramatic and chic. We definitely think, so long as she’s got that haircut, they should keep her away from whites and washed-out colors. She needs richer, brighter, more saturated color now more than ever." [Tom and Lorenzo]
• "The actress looked chic in the stylish Dior jacket, which featured a flared lace design around the hem as she stepped out in Berlin on Tuesday.The pleated number showed off the 23-year-old's slim pins, however her costar Elizabeth Banks stole the show in a dazzling, floor-length Elie Saab gown."[Daily Mail]
Fashionista's Final Word: The overall sentiment regarding this look among online pundits seemed to be, "Meh." We think she looks lovely, if a bit conservative for the red carpet.
New York City, November 20, wearing Dior Resort 2014:
• "While Jennifer still looked beautiful, she wasn’t the Girl On Fire this time in her black plunging blazer dress by Dior with a white and green printed bra top underneath...Of course, it would be impossible for the star to top her show-stopping look from two days earlier. But the 23-year-old seemed to be dressing too old for her years, particularly after her playful see-through number." [Daily Mail]
"• Jennifer Lawrence left her glam gowns at home and instead showed up wearing an entirely new look as she arrived at the AMC Lincoln Center theatre for the Catching Fire premiere in NYC on Nov. 20." [Hollywood Life]
• The stunning star of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire sort of went out with a fashion whimper in a short-sleeve black wool jacket worn over a light pink knitted bra with lime green detailing that completely covered Lawrence's décolletage but showed a useless triangular-shaped flash of her midriff (though the snakeskin-reminiscent acoutrement did sort of invoke the detailing of Katniss' battle gear in the sequel). [E! Online]
Fashionista's Final Word: Coat dresses aren't Jen's strong suit, but how tired must she be after all the globetrotting she's done over the last two weeks?
Rome, November 14, wearing Dior Couture Fall 2013:
• "She's had a few red carpet hits and misses, but Jennifer Lawrence looked good enough to eat in a lemon-meringue gown at the Rome premiere of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire." [Daily Mail]
• "Don't you just love it when movie stars on the red carpet actually look like they're having fun? The dress is Christian Dior and that spot in the front is a little circle of sequins and not a smudge on your monitor." [Jezebel]
• "Jennifer Lawrence certainly has a lot to smile about -- not only is her movie career taking off, so is her fashion sense. Lawrence looked every bit the Hollywood star in this gorgeous yellow gown at The Hunger Games: Catching Fire premiere in Rome on Nov. 17, 2013." [New York Daily News]
Fashionista's Final Word: This whole look was pretty safe (and many thanks to Jezebel for clearing up that spot issue). We like to see her wearing color. In general, that hair calls for a more dramatic look.
London, November 11, wearing Dior Couture Fall 2013:
• "Its intricate design included a multi-coloured beaded pattern, while its sleeveless upper half was comparatively plain - despite the exposed back revealing the absence of a bra. Unfortunately for Jennifer its generous cut did little to accentuate her youthful figure, while the embellished pattern resembled the messy aftermath of an explosion in a Smarties factory."[Daily Mail]
• "The sleeveless frock draped beautifully around the star’s figure while the bold strip of sequins on the skirt sparkled beneath the star’s red coat.Her cropped new ‘do was styled back, off her face, and she looked exquisite on the red carpet."[Hollywood Life]
• "Jennifer Lawrence is back on the premiere circuit for Catching Fire — and we think we just caught her best look yet. Jennifer stepped out for the film's London premiere in a sparkling Dior Haute Couture gown — and, of course, she showed off that spunky new haircut." [FabSugar]
• "The white, gathered-waist gown featured an assortment of bright embellishments on the front, but my favorite part of the dress was the back (or lack thereof.) Is this draping beautiful or what?" (Commenters generally panned the look.) [Glamour]
Fashionista's Final Word: This was J.Law's first red carpet appearance for Catching Fire, and reactions were decidedly mixed. But we love her hair here -- if this junket has taught us anything, it should be that short hair actually can be versatile. We agree with some of the fit issues on the dress, but are fans of the draping and the colorful "Smarties" embellishment.
Madrid, November 13, wearing Dior Resort 2014:
• "For the Madrid premiere of Catching Fire, J.Law teamed her navy Christian Dior gown with some statement-making, head-turning hair. So we needed to take a closer look at the 'do from all angles. And though it’s definitely crazy, we think it also somehow works." [People Style Watch]
• "It was like a tiny tornado landed on her head and whipped her hair into a circular pattern. Or maybe a large, slowly moving eggbeater, or an upside-down salad spinner? It looks rather wonderful, in a kooky-art-teacher kind of way." [The Cut]
• But no one could have predicted the Oscar winning star would take style tips from Cameron Diaz in 90s film There's Something About Mary for the Spanish premiere of the film...A sheer panel in the front of the dress added a touch of sex appeal to her otherwise classic attire, with her hair style giving the whole look some youthful edge."[Daily Mail]
Fashionista's Final Word: Lawrence's hair clearly outshone (or at least got more attention than) her dress here. The dress is pretty signature Raf Simons for Dior, but the predictable There's Something About Mary hair references far outnumbered the dress critiques. We say, kudos to her for going full-on with the hair. We support your creative use of hair gel here, Jen.
Madrid, November 13 photocall, wearing Alexander McQueen Spring 2014:
• "Personally, I am not a big fan of crop tops on the red carpet, but every once in a while, it’s done well, particularly when the wearer has chosen something that fits her figure perfectly, which this does. Plus, it’s not too cropped — just enough that there’s a hint of skin without going overboard on the underboob. [The Gloss]
• "She may have admitted to eating hot dogs and sweets whenever she wants, but Jennifer Lawrence certainly didn't look like she has a bad diet whilst in Madrid today...Her newly chopped hair was styled to perfection and Jennifer completed her look with dark nails and glossy lips. It was yet again another stylish and sophisticated look for the young actress - who is definitely becoming one of Hollywood's best-dressed ladies." [Express UK]
• "Her commercial two-piece consisted of a spine-knit crop top and skirt, which she styled with bi-colour Jimmy Choo ‘Daiquiri’ black-and-white studded pumps and Monique Pean earrings. The hair was shaped into a modern choppy, layered ‘do, with a dark nail polish and glossy lips completing the look." (Note: Commenters loved this look.) [Red Carpet Fashion Awards]
Fashionista's Final Word: Perhaps it was the fact that J.Law finally wore something other than Dior, but reactions were generally favorable to this look. It's young, fashion forward, and really flattering on her.
Rome, November 14 photocall, wearing Proenza Schouler Spring 2014:
• "Jennifer Lawrence looked amazing as she posed during the 2013 Rome Film Festival photo call for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire today (Nov. 14). The 23-year-old wowed in a black and yellow Proenza Schouler dress, flashing a bit of sideboob as she made her way down the red carpet." [Huffington Post]
• "For the second day in a row Jennifer Lawrence opted for a slim-fitting frock that complemented her curves while at the photocall. Today the Oscar winner looked über stylish in a Proenza Schouler LBD with gold statement strip down the center. Her hair was styled in a side-swept effect which was much more casual than the voluminous 'do she rocked last night. In fact, today's chic out-of-her-face look might be our favorite so far." [E! Online]
• "There you go. That’s the girl. It’s like everything we’ve been bitching about has been addressed. She’s in a dramatic, high-contrast dress that flatters her shape. Her shoes are killa and her makeup is … acceptable. But the hair’s made a turnaround. This is the first time it’s really worked for us, possibly because they didn’t try to zhuzh it up too much." [Tom and Lorenzo]
Fashionista's Final Word: You really can't beat a good Proenza frock. She nailed this look, and of course, a nice helping of tasteful side boob goes a long way. (Spoiler: More side boob to come!)
Los Angeles, November 18, wearing Dior Couture Fall 2013:
• "Lawrence, 23, covered up the necessary parts with a black strapless leotard underneath, but otherwise her sexy silhouette and long legs were on full display...the Oscar-winner's sexy dress was enough to distract from her new pixie haircut as the must-see part of each red carpet. [New York Daily News]
• "We’re both in agreement that she looks like a trapeze artist who got caught up in her own safety net. Where we disagree is whether this is bold and attention-seeking in a good way or bold and attention-seeking in the wrong way. She can pull it off, but does it really suit her? We were asked the other day what our least favorite trend is right now and we said in unison, 'Sheer dresses and panties.' But her hair looks cute, right?" [Tom and Lorenzo]
• "'That's amazing,' said costume designer Trish Summervile, catching sight of Jennifer Lawrence arriving on a giant plasma screen at Nokia Theater L.A. Live in a body-baring purple Dior Haute Couture gown. Sheer from the waist down, the Effie-approved look had Summerville agreeing that the star's style has grown bolder on this press tour." [USA Today]
• "...And Jennifer took her fantastic and positive outlook one step further by revealing her gorgeous curves in all their glory in the striking dress." [Daily Mail]
Fashionista's Final Word: Ah, going pantsless on the red carpet -- a sure-fire way to rile everyone up. But we're putting this as our number two choice because it's just. That. Good. If anyone shouldn't wear pants, it is Jennifer Lawrence.
And her best look of the week is...
Paris, November 15, wearing Dior Couture Fall 2013: • (Headline) "This Is the Hottest Hair and Makeup Look Jennifer Lawrence Has Ever Worn in Her Entire Life" [Glamour]
• "Lawrence went braless in the stunning gown that featured a sheer panel on the chest that ran diagonally to her waist. It's definitely one of the sexiest dresses we've seen Lawrence wear, and it comes just a day after she flashed a bit of sideboob in a black and yellow Proenza Schouler dress at the 2013 Rome Film Festival." [Huffington Post]
• "Featuring a reveling sheer panel, the actress came over all Gothic in a black pleated dress for the Paris premiere of Hunger Games: Catching Fire on Friday. The 23-year-old looked stunning in the long, Christian Dior Couture gown, while going bra-free and flashing the side of her ample cleavage." [Daily Mail]
Fashionista's Final Word: This look is proof that if you combine a vampy lip, side boob, an impeccably fitting dress, and your new understated pixie cut (PS: what sort of miracle smoother is she using here?) you will win all the red carpets.