At the end of the holidays, most people come back from vacation feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the new year.
But for the fashion industry, the return from winter break means only one thing: The fall shows are just around the corner. So in the last few days before the official kickoff, while models trudge through snow to castings and shows get confirmed (or canceled), we busy ourselves gathering up the goods that will take us through fashion week -- like squirrels, only more fashion-obsessed.
From Chipotle burrito bowls (the preferred fuel for Fashionista editors) to the perfect red lipstick and everything in between, these are the things that take us from 7 a.m. call times to 11 p.m. deadlines (without getting sick, natch).
And seriously, it had better not snow... even though we all know it's going to. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!
Shop the Post:
Lauren Indvik, Editor in Chief
1. Tall wool boyfriend coat, $178 at Topshop: Nearly all of my cold-weather clothes are black, white or navy, often in graphic prints. I'm depending on this bold-colored coat to make them pop.
2. Mophie Juice Pack for iPhone 4/4S, $79.95 at Apple: I could not get through a single day of Fashion Week without one of these lovelies, which double the life of your iPhone battery.
3. Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H, $45 at Sephora: Breakouts? Dark eye circles? If I have them during Fashion Week, no one will be able to tell. This lightweight foundation has great coverage. I haven't used concealer once since I bought it.
4. Warby Parker Crosby Eyeglasses, $95 at Warby Parker: Come day three of Fashion Week, I'm exhausted and out come the glasses. I'm lucky that my Warby Parkers also happen to be chic.
5. Plush fleece-lined footless tights, $25.20-$28.80 at Shopbop: Fashion Week in February? It's freezing. I expect to wear these uber comfortable, perfectly sleek fleece-lined tights nearly every day.
6. Leather wedge ankle boot, $39.99 at Zara: You won't catch me in heels during Fashion Week (helloooo, schlepping between shows on the subway), but you will catch me in these practical, snow weather-friendly wedge ankle boots from Zara.
7. Nars Lip Pencils, $25 at Nars: I own Nars satin and velvet matte pencils in a variety of shades, including Yu (a nice cool pink) and Red Square (an orangey red). It's easy to pull together a look by matching my lipstick to a scarf, shoe, sweater or bag.
Stephanie Trong, Editor in Chief
1. Olja hair powder, $42 at Olja Hair Care: I love this more than any spray dry shampoo I've ever tried. It keeps oil at a minimum and does wonders to prevent piece-y, '80s-style baby bangs.
2. Warby Parker "Everett" sunglasses, $95 at Warby Parker: The blue is much more daring than my usual traditional tortoiseshell. These will serve as my sole piece of "flair" for the week.
3. Mansur Gavriel large black wallet, $165 at Mansur Gavriel: Gorgeous yet understated, it will double as a clutch as I'm trying to not carry huge bags to shows -- there's nowhere to put them and I always end up hitting people. Plus, the wrist strap means hands-free!
4. Think Thin peanut butter protein bars, $15.89 for 10 at Soap.com: The name is truly embarrassing (an ex-coworker and I used to call them "TT's" for fear of coming off as weight-obsessed). But they taste like not-too-sweet candy bars and keep you going when there's no other food in sight.
5. Bobbi Brown creamy matte lip color in Warm Beige, $24 at Sephora: Not too distracting but definitely adds color.
6. Saint Laurent boots, $970 at Saint Laurent: They were made for walking, etc.
Dhani Mau, Senior Editor
1. Eddie Bauer Down Jacket, $179 at Eddie Bauer: Don't worry -- I don't intend for anyone to actually see this. I'm not insane. But it's extremely thin, yet warm, making it perfect to wear underneath my cute coats that...aren't so warm on their own.
2. Pearl Ring, $150 at Gold Philosophy: Thanks to Karl Lagerfeld, spring is all about the oversized pearl, so I can't wait to jump on that trend with this tasteful-yet-statement making ring from Gold Philosophy, which also happens to be pretty affordable.
3. Topshop trousers, $100 at Topshop: I need a good pair of black trousers, and I love the subtle flecky print on these. Figure I could even wear them twice during NYFW without anyone noticing.
4. Baggu Tote, $160 at Eaton Trading Company: It fits my laptop, invites and I love the chic navy color. Done.
5. Zinc, $4.99 at Drugstore.com: A bottle of this stuff always sits at my desk for me to take when I feel a cold coming on.
6. Evian facial spray, $19.50 for 3 at Nordstrom: For much-needed midday wake-ups.
7. Carmex Lip Balm, $1.49 at Drugstore.com: I am pretty much addicted to this stuff, especially in the winter, and I feel like my lips get especially dry during fashion week. Maybe it's dehydration or all the air kissing.
Alyssa Vingan, Senior Editor
1. iPad mini in white, $299 at Apple: My laptop is too clunky to carry around from show to show, but my iPad mini (and the small keyboard I bought to use with it) will fit in my purse and help me get a head start on my writing as I wait for the next one to begin.
2. Box of Orbit gum, $10.99 at Drugstore.com: I go through packs of gum faster than anyone I know -- I'm also good at sharing it -- so I always make sure to have at least one in my bag at all times.
3. Kenzo sweatshirt, $315 at Forward by Elyse Walker: I love me a fashion sweatshirt. I will layer this colorful Kenzo version over a collared shirt for an easy (and toasty) look for a full day of shows. Polar vortex be damned.
4. Nars Velvet Matte lip pencil in Dragon Girl, $25 available at Nordstrom: During the winter fashion weeks, I usually am bundled up in a black coat, scarf and hat, so I feel like a bit of color on my lips helps me to look alive (instead of like a fashion zombie). This version by Nars is the longest lasting I've found so far.
5. Isabel Marant wedge booties, $936 at Forward by Elyse Walker: I got these boots on super-sale over the holidays (shout out to Net-a-Porter!) and I cannot wait to wear them during Fashion Week. They're surprisingly easy to walk in, which is key since car service between shows is unfortunately not my reality.
6. Chipotle burrito bowl, $8 at Chipotle: Our office is located about 30 feet away from a Chipotle, so it will likely be one of my main forms of sustenance throughout the week. Actually, Chipotle should probably sponsor Fashionista's Fashion Week coverage since we all eat it so much. Can this be arranged?
7. Black cashmere beanie, $86 at Catbird: If you see me at all during Fashion Week, I will likely be wearing this hat. Indoors, outdoors -- doesn't matter. I will risk the hat hair!
Nora Crotty, Associate Editor
1. Kikkerland Retro Specs Contact Case, $8.99 at ModCloth: I'll never understand why my contact cases get grimy so fast. This one's unique and makes it impossible for me to lose and/or mismatching the caps, plus it makes everyone smile when I take it out of my bag.
2. Floral hair bow, $7.41 at ASOS: I'm sorry weather, I just don't think I can wear winter hats anymore. Real, growing flowers might still be a ways away, but it's never too early to start wearing them in your hair.
3. L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm in Pink Satin, $5.99 at Target: It's really sheer, so you don't need a mirror to apply it -- a lot safer than my usual standby, matte lipstick, when you're going to be around a million people snapping photos. My favorite part, though, is that it smells like cotton candy.
4. Essie Nail Lacquer in Resort Fling, $8.50 at Essie: Love this shiny sherbet. Light enough that it isn't overly noticeable when it starts to chip.
5. St. Tropez One Night Only Instant Glow Body Lotion, $18 at Sephora: Sorry, but I still don't trust myself around self-tanners. This one goes on brown and washes off the second you want it to -- perfect for a particularly pale day (read: every day).
6. Bumble Bee solid white albacore in water, $52.50 for 24 at Soap.com: Eating out all the time during fashion week gets expensive. TUNA FISH.
7. Diztronic Clear GlitterFlex Flexible TPU Case for Apple iPhone 5, $8.99 at Amazon: In an ideal world, I'd be wearing my glittery jellies to Lincoln Center. My new sparkly phone case is the next best thing.
Tyler McCall, Assistant Editor
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli, $995 at Bergdorf Goodman: This bag is the absolute best. Not too big, but perfect for hauling around all the stuff I accumulate during the day. Plus, I'm obsessed with the very subtle sparkle.
2. Gurl Power Bank Flora, $39.99 at Chic Buds: This thing is so useful -- you can fully charge two devices to capacity at once. That name though -- oof.
3. Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Vesuvio, $26 at Sephora: An old standby. I am convinced there is no better red. I lost a still-half-full tube at a party and wanted to cry, that's how much I love this stuff.
4. Salvatore Ferragamo Varas, $450 at Zappos: Snow? What snow?
5. One Direction Gel Pens set, $6.50 at Claire's: You think I won't pull one of these out to take notes during a fashion show? You must be new here.
6. Black Legging Jeans, $69.50 at Gap: I will wear these every day and feel approximately zero shame about it. Maybe less than zero.
Eliza Brooke, Editorial Assistant
1. Oskri Fig and Dark Chocolate bar, $30.60 for 20 at Amazon: You have not lived until you have tried Oskri's gluten-free/vegan/kosher/refined-sugar-free bars. It's the perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
2. Not Your Mother's Texturizing Sea Salt Spray, $5.99 at Ulta: If you ask me, the most important part of dry shampooing is what you do after. A few spritzes of this salt spray puts the life back in de-greased hair.
3. OPI nail polish in Here Today Aragon Tomorrow, $8.19 at Overstock.com: My hands get ridiculously pale in the winter, so why not go all-out goth? This nearly black hue warrants a second look.
4. Jacob Skinny jeans in Woodlands, $209 at Paige: Given the slush, boots are the only way to go this week. Cuffing a loose-fitting jean to the top of a tall ankle boot gives you a clean, casual line.
5. Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme, $14.99 at Drugstore.com: Sensing a theme? I use this night cream during the day when my skin is feeling touchy. Which is basically every day this winter.
Lauren Sherman, Editor at Large
1. Raglan cable knit sweater, $318 at &Daughter: Good thing sweaters got "cool" this winter because damn, have they been useful during the polar vortex! I've bought quite a few, but my favorite is this jumper from London label &Daughter. I've been wearing it practically every day -- it's just oversized enough and in comes in the absolutely right shade of navy.
2. Dior "Gum Tee Shirt" earrings, at Dior: Never going to happen, but I really want it to.
3. Blinc eyebrow mouse, $24 at Sephora: I've finally started making an effort with my eyebrows, and this "mouse" is really useful. I brush a bunch on, then use a q-tip to shape. The great thing is that once it's on there, it stays put, which is important as I tend to rub my eyes when I'm tired.
4. Embryolisse Lait-Creme moisturizer, $16 at Net-a-Porter: It's really the only thing that softens dry patches on my face without feeling sticky -- and it smells, great too. I also use it on my elbows and shins.
5. Saint Laurent "Blake" Chelsea boots, $855 at Saks Fifth Avenue: I will not be wearing heels this wintry fashion week, but I will also not be wearing Sorels. At least not the entire time. For days when I know I can avoid the salt on the sidewalks and mud puddles, I'll be breaking out my beloved Saint Laurent's.
6. Uniqlo Heattech trouser socks, $9.90 at Uniqlo: Yes, yes Heattech tights are great. But so are these socks, which are thin enough to wear under my Chelsea boots, but manage to keep my toes fairly warm.
7. Whistles belted coat, $820 at Whistles: I almost didn't buy this because I didn't want to be one of what I'm sure we'll be hundreds of ladies wearing pink coats this season. But I had to, because it's great.
Jihan Forbes, Contributor
1. iPad Mini, $299 at Apple: I do not leave home without this thing during Fashion Week. I use it to blog between shows, check my emails, and it's a good (though still kinda goofy) backup camera/voice recorder for when all my other electronics have run out of juice.
2. M.A.C. Ruby Woo Lipstick, $15 at MAC: Ruby Woo looks good on everyone, and a good lippie makes you appear more polished.
3. Zara Zipper Peplum V-Neck, $79.90 at Zara: I've had my eye on this top for about a week, and it'll be mine in a few days. I'm thinking of layering it over a sleek black turtleneck because this polar juggernaut of hell we're dealing with in NYC is no joke.
4. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Edge Control Hair Gel, $5.99 at Soap.com: I will definitely be rocking a topknot at least ONCE during fashion week, and Organic Root Stimulator's edge control formula is perfect to keep my edges nice and smooth. It's a classic!
5. Make Up Forever Pro Finish Multi-Use Powder Foundation, $36 at Sephora: I scored this baby at a tradeshow last year, and I've been using it ever since to hide the dark circles under my eyes. So, even if I've been up filing stories until 3AM... there's no way anyone can tell!
6. Gigi New York Burgundy All in One Bag, $105 at Gigi New York: I'm having a clutch moment, and this burgundy python-embossed piece is the perfect size to fit my iPad mini, voice recorder, lipstick, cash, Tylenol -- you name it. It's so cute, I just want to put my name on it...AND I can, because for an extra $15, they'll add gold monogram lettering.
Melanie Bender, Contributor
1. Alexander Birman heels, $374 at ShoeScribe: This pair of go-with-everything black heels are special but versatile, and on sale.
2. Tatcha Polished Classic Rice Enzyme Powder, $65 at Barneys: The cold-to-heat-to-cold, long hours and mostly liquid diet (I'm not talking juicing) do a number on my skin. This gentle exfoliating powder works miracles and is super portable.
3. Statement coat, $404 at Walk in My Closet: It's the perfect time to snap up something vintage that can be thrown over anything. I have my eye on a few by Proenza Schouler and Isabel Marant on Walk In My Closet.
4. Evernote, Free in iTunes: The best ideas come at the most awkward of times (when stuck in a freight elevator, for example). This app keeps my life in order when switching between mobile, laptop and tablet.
5. Make Cosmetics Scarlet Oak Silk Cream Lipstick, $25 at Barneys: The only makeup I wear will be applied in the cab, so a bold lip is the way to go. I'm super impressed with Make's product and mission (1/3 of all sales support women-owned cooperatives in the U.S.).
6. Leather shopper tote, $79.90 at Zara: The optimal carryall for stashing tech devices, show takeaways and a change of shoes without losing its shape.
7. Black Converse, $50 at Piperlime: By day three I usually succumb to flats... thank god for the athletic trend.
Alex Travers, Contributor
1. The Leica X2 digital compact camera in apple green, $1995 at Leica: Here’s a theorem: Point-and-shoot > cell phone.
2. Montblanc Limited Edition Alfred Hitchcock Rollerball Pen, at Montblanc: Cinematic references in fashion never fail to fascinate me. And when I see them, I use this pen—with its knife-shaped clip—to take killer notes.
3. Want Les Essentiels de la Vie Orly Tote in black Italian leather, $795 at Mr. Porter: I’m a total packrat, especially when it comes to invites and show notes.
4. Le Labo AnOther 13 Eau de Parfum, $169.26 at Colette: It’s unlike anything else.
5. Men’s slim-fit straight jeans, $49.90 at Uniqlo: I live in these -- and they’re only $50 per pair!
Tara Lamont-Djite, Contributor
1. Adrienne Landau Silver Fox Fur Vest, $1121 at Neiman Marcus: It's a well known fact that New York's F/W shows fall in one of the coldest months of the year, so staying warm is imperative. One of the best ways to do this is with fur.
2. Chanel Le Weekend, $115 at Nordstrom: As an ex-beauty editor, I've tried almost every beauty product under the sun. This super luxe formula contains glycolic acid to clear blemishes and exfoliate skin, and essentially makes your face look as if you've had plenty of water and rest when, in NYFW reality, you probably haven't.
3. Saskia Diaz Pearl Ring, $486 at Saskia Diaz: I've been coveting fine jewelry, and am a huge fan of the pearl trend happening right now. These beautiful Saskia Diaz rings are a great way to add a special something to my look, and they're just so gorgeous.
4. MetroCard, $112 at MTA: The best to get around the island when you don't have a car? The subway! It's faster than a taxi, warm, and easy to navigate. I pretty much live on the C line flitting between Lincoln Center and Milk Studios during the shows.
5. Burberry Petal Foldover Clutch, $1795 at Burberry: I have an almost-unnatural obsession with clutches and the color pink at the moment, and I'm also crushing heavily on Burberry. This soft-as-butter leather foldover clutch is big enough to hold my phone, show invitations, and a few essentials, and is the most sumptuous magenta color.
6. Helmut Lang Leather Leggings, $920 at Net-a-Porter: Staying stylish in the aforementioned freezing weather is hard (I mean, you don't want to leave home looking like the Michelin man!) More often than not I rely on a fail-proof combo of leather leggings, boots, and a chic but cozy sweater and coat to get me from show to show.