In not-so-surprising news, Rihanna is Vogue's March cover girl (the pop star herself leaked several images a few weeks ago). It's her third time covering the glossy.
The accompanying story inside, though, is filled with interesting -- and surprising -- insights into RiRi's seemingly unattainable cool and influential personal style. Throughout the piece, the style star -- who's inspired entire collections by Balmain and Tom Ford -- spends the day dressing writer Plum Sykes in pieces from Alexander Wang, Ford and Adam Selman. It's one of the most entertaining Vogue cover stories we've read in a while, and it's also useful. So, we've cut through the fluff and compiled a list of great, actionable tips to becoming Rihanna:
• Get a weave: “I have two main hair people I work with. They’re always with me. I’m like, ‘I’m bored! I wanna change my hair!’ That’s the good thing about a weave. You can do whatever with it.” Oh, and have two hair people around at all times.
• Don't worry about the pain when choosing footwear: “I can dance in them,” Rihanna says of a pair of Saint Laurent stilettos. “It’s not about pain. It’s about the commitment. I say to myself, ‘I want to look like this,’ and worry about the pain later."
• It's time to revisit mall store Claire's: “My jewelry’s all fake -- from Claire’s. Or I get it from my mom’s boutique in Barbados. Her shop’s called FAB-U-LUS.” So, Rihanna goes to the mall??
• Oversized jackets are the key to everything: “It’s fierce," she says of a men's Alexander Wang jacket. "This is dope leather. More than anything, I like a jacket. You can do anything with a great jacket, the bigger the better. You can have any silhouette underneath. It gives you an attitude. It makes a gown look cool.”
• Wear men's clothes: "“I love baggy things. I wear men’s clothes, men’s shoes, oxfords, creepers.”
• Take risks: “Plum! You will never be stylish if you don’t take risks,” she says after Sykes admits to being afraid of trying menswear. “If you go into a men’s shop and try something, they would look at you like, that’s a bad bitch.”
• Use MAC eyeliner: Rihanna has an assistant go to the MAC store so that she can recreate her own eye makeup look on Sykes' face.
• Dress like you're a pop star at dance rehearsal: “It all started in dance rehearsal,” Rihanna explains of her now-iconic sweats-with-heels look. “When you’re on tour, you go to rehearse wearing sweats and sneaks. Then you practice your song in the heels you are going to wear that night. I realized, Wow, that looks cool! I have a friend who is literally searching for cool T-shirts for me all the time because I’m obsessed.” Also, employ someone whose sole job is to "find cool t-shirts" for you.
• Expand your Instagram followers: “I follow girls from the Middle East. It gives you ideas.”
• Finally, the best rule of all, the rule of bras: “If I’m wearing a top, I don’t wear a bra,” she says. “If I’m wearing a bra, I just wear a bra.”
It's also worth noting that the duo's next shopping trip could take them to Rihanna's own store: "She wants to start a fashion label soon," writes Sykes. Could RiRi be the next celebrity to find legitimate fashion success? It certainly seems possible.
Head to Vogue.com to see the full story.