Fitness is definitely having a moment in fashion. Since many of us here at Fashionista are also fitness buffs, this suits us just fine. Every week all summer long we'll be featuring different trainers who will showcase their signature workout moves via GIF. Best of all, we're dressing them in some of our favorite activewear brands -- both well-known and up-and-coming -- to provide a double dose of inspiration. Welcome to Fashion #Fitspo.
The studio/trainer: While spinning is an amazing calorie burner and endorphin producer, it shouldn't be the only workout in your routine. FlyWheel, one of the premiere spin studios in the country, got wise to this early on and added FlyBarre studios at several of their locations. The classes, which focus on toning and strengthening, hit your whole body with a series of deceptively small movements on the ground and at the barre that will have you quivering by the end of class. (I've tried pretty much every barre class in NYC and this is one of my favorites — the pace is quick enough that you get a little bonus cardio, and the plank warm-up at the beginning is the stuff that six-packs are made of. ) Elsa Hosk, Katrina Bowden, Jessica Stam and Nina Agdal (one third of the infamous bum trio on the recent Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue) are all fans. Brittany Franklin, one of the talented trainers at the studio, took us through some butt toning moves to get you ready in case SI ever calls you to bare your bum for them.
The moves: Don't be fooled by how easy these moves look. All three get down deep into your glutes to work the entire muscle. Do 3 sets of 15 reps on each leg.
• Get on your hands and knees (this is called "table top position") and bring your knee to the same height as your hip with your thigh parallel to the ground. Your shoulders, arms and wrists should be in a straight line. For all three of these moves, you should engage your abs and keep your belly button pulled into your spine the whole time.
• Point toe.
• Kick your leg out at a slight diagonal, keeping your toe pointed the whole time. You should feel this all through the glute muscle.
• Get into table top position. Flex your foot.
• Kick your leg out into a parallel position. Do this very deliberately, squeezing your butt to lift your leg. Don't let momentum take over or you'll be cheating yourself of the benefits of the movement.
Hold and Pulse:
• Get into table top position and lift one leg parallel to the floor.
• While keeping leg parallel, pulse it slowly up and down, squeezing the muscles in your leg and butt.
• To make a more challenging move, combine the this move with the previous move -- kick out, pulse up, then lover leg.
The clothes: FlyWheel has its own private label line which Bloomingdale's picked up last year. The company is launching e-commerce soon, but in the meantime, you can call any studio or pop in and they will send you the pieces you want. (Locations here.) Franklin is wearing: Flywheel Criss Cross Sports Bra, $38.00; Flywheel Slash Back Tank w/Floral - $42.00; Flywheel Two Toned Capri in Aqua/Grey - $84.00.
Photos/GIFs: Nina Frazier Hansen/Fashionista