Fitness is definitely having a moment in fashion. Since many of us here at Fashionista are also fitness buffs, this suits us just fine. All summer long we've been featuring different trainers and showcasing their signature workout moves via GIF. Best of all, we're dressing them in some of our favorite activewear brands -- both well-known and up-and-coming -- to provide a double dose of inspiration. Welcome to this "Fitness Week" edition of Fashion #Fitspo.
The trainer/studio: Violet Zaki teaches her exhilarating signature kickboxing class, Zen Combat, at Equinox in NYC and is the owner of her own fitness company, Zaki Fitness. (Full disclosure: I followed her around NYC and took her classes for many years. Nothing is better for stress relief than fake punching and kicking.)
The moves: Kickboxing is a full body workout. The following combination will provide cardiovascular conditioning, core strength and stability, and will target the glutes, abs (especially the obliques), shoulders, inner and outer thighs, quads and hamstrings. Like Violet does in class, we're going to break the move down into its separate parts first, then show you the entire combination. To amp up the cardio component, increase your tempo and repetitions. To amp up the strength component, execute the techniques slowly.
Part 1: Double Roundhouse Kick:
• Stand with feet shoulder-width apart with hands on guard. Make a fist and place hands under chin and elbows in front of ribcage.
• Turn right foot on a 45 degree angle, bending right knee and rotating upper body to your left.
• Extend left leg double shoulder width apart from right foot, pointing foot.
• Do a low roundhouse kick (lift knee up and sideways, extend leg, then retract it, with inner thigh facing the floor) followed by a high roundhouse kick.
• Repeat for 30 seconds, then switch sides.
• Modifications: Chamber the knee without extending into a kick or keep your kicks low.
Part 2: Knifehand Sumo Squat
• Step together, then step left with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart and with your toes turned out into a sumo stance.
• At the same time, extend your fingers together with thumb tucked in (knifehand strike) and extend the arm to your right.
• Always look in the striking direction.
• Repeat for 30 seconds non-stop then switch legs and repeat.
The Butt Kicking Blaster:
• Combine the two moves.
• Repeat the sequence for one minute, then switch sides and do it again.
• Safety Tip: Avoid locking out your knees and elbows during any of the moves.
The clothes: Denise Lee, a triathlete who couldn't find attractive functional activewear when she was training, launched ALALA early in 2014. The pieces are sophisticated yet still sporty with fun details like prints and zippers.
Want more #fitspo? Try some of our other summer workout GIFs: