We do not usually celebrate fake holidays at Fashionista — like last week's National Ice Cream Day or next week's National Orgasm Day — but we will make an exception for National Lipstick Day because... well, we're pretty darn fond of lipstick.
Here, eight Fashionista editors name their favorite neutral and statement lipsticks. (Spoiler: There are lots of Nars fans here.)
1. Lauren Indvik, Editor in Chief: I have recommended this lip balm to so many people who say that lipstick feels like "too much." This adds just a bit of color, and is as hydrating as any lip balm out there — great for everyday wear. Benefit Cosmetics Hydrating Tinted Lip Balm in Rose, $18, available at Sephora.
2. Dhani Mau, Senior Editor: While I have Nars lip pencils in several different hues (as does everyone), I've come to like this dusty rose color. It's just different enough from the natural color of my lips to make me feel like I'm wearing makeup. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita, $26, available at Sephora.
3. Alyssa Vingan, Senior Editor: I wore this very light pink shade at my wedding and have gone through a couple of them since. It's a moisturizer, too, so it feels very conditioning on the lips. Julie Hewett Lipstick in Kiki, $26, available at Julie Hewett.
4. Chantal Fernandez, Associate Editor: I have a phobia of lip color and glosses, but Yves Saint Laurent's Sheer Candy balm is light enough to work with my everyday routine, specifically the Juicy Grapefruit color. Plus the tube makes me feel like a fancy lady. Yves Saint Laurent Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm Crystal Color in Juicy Grapefruit, $36, available at Sephora.
5. Maura Brannigan, Associate Editor: I'm an absolute sucker for any lipstick Tom Ford produces, but this peachy, light neutral tone is perfect when you want a bit more color than a balm. Tom Ford Lip Color in Spanish Pink, $52, available at Bloomingdale's.
2. Lauren Sherman, Editor at Large: I've been after that pink-y nude look since high school, and I found it four years ago with Dolce Vita. My favorite ever. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita, $26, available at Sephora.
6. Cheryl Wischhover, Beauty Editor at Large: I have about six neutral and rosy lipsticks that I rotate through — five of them are Chanel. I love that this one is a bit deeper than my regular lip color and that I can apply it without a mirror. It's hydrating and just easy. Chanel Rouge Coco in Suzanne, $36, available at Nordstrom.
2. Fawnia Soo Hoo, Contributing Editor: This is the perfect pairing for a smokey eye. Plus, the pencil format makes it so easy to apply. I can even do it on the subway. Don't judge. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita, $26, available at Sephora.
1. Lauren Indvik, Editor in Chief: There is no hue as universally flattering as a bright, orangey red. Like Alyssa, I'm a fan of Nars's velvet matte lip pencil in Red Square, but MAC's lipstick in Lady Bug is another favorite I tend to wear with white and blue — and the smooth, satiny feel makes it a total pleasure to apply. MAC Lipstick in Lady Bug, $16, available at MAC Cosmetics.
2. Dhani Mau, Senior Editor: I usually steer clear of bold, in-your-face lipsticks, but something about this shade feels light and natural even though it deposits a good amount of color. It's also moisturizing, a bit sheer, and doesn't look nearly as purple as it sounds. Clinique Different Lipstick in A Different Grape, $16, available at Sephora.
3. Alyssa Vingan, Senior Editor: I've tried this in many shades, mostly because it's the one lip color that really, truly does. Not. Budge. I am a fan of the deep red Dragon Girl, but Red Square, which has a more orange tone, looks great with my skin and earns me the most compliments. Nars Velvet Matte lip pencil, $26, available at Sephora.
4. Chantal Fernandez, Associate Editor: Benefit's cheek and lip tints are so handy. You can build up the intensity of the color as much as you want — and it stays put and looks really natural. Benefit Cosmetics Benetint Cheek & Lip Stain, $30, available at Ulta.
5. Maura Brannigan, Associate Editor: It being summer and me being (remotely) tan, I'm trying to experiment with brighter colors that I won't be able to wear once I return to my paler glow. What's brighter for that than a slick of Barbie-friendly pink lipstick? Nars Audacious in Michiyo, $32, available at Sephora.
6. Lauren Sherman, Editor at Large: The best orange-y red. It reminds me of the J.Crew catalog in its heyday. Nars semi-matte lipstick in Heat Wave, $27, available at Nars.
7. Cheryl Wischhover, Beauty Editor at Large: In the summer I am a sucker for fuchsia lipstick, but I'll spare you that one and go with my second favorite statement shade: goth. I have several that I love (helllooo, Tom Ford Bruised Plum), but when I want the full aesthetic experience I pull out this little indie nugget. Make Matte Lipstick in Jakarta, $25, available at Barneys.
8. Fawnia Soo Hoo, Contributing Editor: This lip pencil manages to be high pigment, but moisturizing at the same time. Not sure if this is a pro, but I still sometimes get lipstick stains on my coffee mug the morning after. Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil in Framboise, $24, available at Sephora.