You know what they say about holiday wish lists: Reach for the expensive things you can't justify buying for yourself, and if you miss you'll land among wool socks and a 10-pack of Hanes underwear. (Practical presents are severely underrated. If Santa could give me a monthly unlimited MetroCard, I'd be overjoyed.) This year my dream Christmas includes some Marni earrings, a bottle of the most addictive perfume I've smelled in a long time and some rad, red faux snakeskin boots... but failing that, I'll gladly settle for a renewal on my New Yorker subscription and another pair of long underwear from Uniqlo.
1. APC Madelaine Sweater, $134.89, available at Farfetch: Giving someone a black APC turtleneck is like sending her a handwritten card with $50 slipped inside or an iTunes gift card. It may not elicit surprise and awe, but it's unimpeachable.
2. Vilhelm Parfumerie "Room Service," $245, available at Barneys: You guys have already heard about my love for "Dear Polly," a beautiful, warm fragrance with black tea notes that Vilhelm Parfumerie founder Jan Ahlgren created for his wife, Polly. "Room Service," which begins brightly before shifting into something intoxicatingly musky, is even better — to my nose, at least. Having worked my way through a small tester bottle, I'm ready to go full-size, ideally at no cost to my own bank account.
3. Marni Earrings, €220, available at Mytheresa: Marni jewelry, in all its oversized and arty-but-sophisticated glory, is the bomb. I love these black disk earrings, which would pair splendidly with a low bun and the aforementioned APC sweater.
4. Cos Belt with Oval Buckle, $59, available at Cos: Over Thanksgiving, I was struck by how chic my grandmother looked in a turtleneck tucked into some high-waisted black pants that she'd tidily belted. The belt was the key thing here — I'm sure she wore it by necessity, but it tied the whole silhouette together. I'm now endeavoring to rip her off with this minimal Cos style.
5. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Fig-Red Grape, $20, available at Sephora: Winterizing your kisser with a berry-toned lipstick is never a bad idea.
6. KG by Kurt Geiger Snape Snake Print Leather Mid-Calf Boots, $287, available at Asos: I don't know what I like better about these heels — their mid-calf height, which feels refreshing against New York City's landscape of ankle boots, or the semi-gaudy red snakeskin print. All I know is that the center of the "Nicolas Ghesquière for Louis Vuitton"/"Dolly Parton" Venn diagram is a place I want to be.