Journelle is a multi-channel lingerie retailer, bringing a fresh approach to the category through fashion-forward merchandise selection, sophisticated store and website design, and exceptional customer service. Founded in 2007, this fast-growing company currently operates four retail stores and a significant online business dedicated to helping women love and wear beautiful lingerie everyday.
Journelle is seeking an Accounting Associate to join its team of lingerie lovers. The Accounting Associate will be responsible for overseeing Journelle’s financial and HR operations, report directly to the Chief Financial Officer, and have one direct report.
Responsibilities include managing A/R and A/P processes, tracking and upholding legal requirements, managing onboarding and off boarding HR processes, and tackling other projects and issues to minimize losses and drive smart financial decisions. This role requires accounting knowledge as well as the ability to lead, support, and motivate team members.
This is an exempt position.
All interested candidates should email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Accounting Associate will be fully responsible for the implementation and daily management of financial and human resources procedures. The ideal candidate will be able to take ownership of processes and other projects, whether it’s helping with individual A/R issues or reviewing the high-level P&L statement at month closing. As Journelle is a start-up, the ability to learn at a fast pace, make decisions independently, and adapt to the needs of a quickly growing company are imperative.
Core responsibilities for this role include:
MANAGEMENT OF DAILY FINANCIAL & HR ACTIVITIES
- Monitor cash flows and working capital
- Manage HR processes and paperwork, such as onboarding/off boarding and employee benefits
- Manage bookkeeping operations focusing on A/R processes. Our existing bookkeeper focuses on A/P processes. Troubleshoot A/R issues, including sync issues between our POS to ERP systems
- Manage fraud prevention and chargeback processes
- Review and approve vendor payments and wire transfers
- Management of petty cash for the corporate office and all retail stores
- Audit the stores’ weekly cash deposits
FINANCIAL RECONCILIATION & CLOSING PROCESS
- Creation of journal entries
- Bank statement reconciliation
- Corporate credit card transaction creation and reconciliation
- Review with operations and corporate managers the monthly Budget vs. Actual P&Ls
- Closing procedures and high level review of period close
FINANCIAL COMPLIANCE & MAINTENANCE
- Work with CFO to finalize Federal and State income tax returns (with help from external accountant), oversee sales tax registrations and payments, and assist in audits, tax returns, corporate reports & filings, and other projects
- Maintain paper and electronic records for required time period
- Ensure proper recording of expenses and activities
- Develop and implement accounting controls
- Close the books on a monthly basis
- Maintain a documented system of accounting procedures and workflows
- Manage one-off projects, as needed
- Create cost-benefit analyses of proposed projects as required
- Research ways in which Journelle can cut costs or improve certain areas
- Work cross functionally to map and verify accounting impact on new initiatives (for example, a new marketing partnership)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance
- At least 2-3 years of experience in relevant fields (Finance, Accounting)
- Knowledge of GAAP and familiarity with basic accounting concepts and terms
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word and Excel
- Familiarity with Macs
- Strong work ethic
- Highly organized and ability to prioritize projects and tasks
- Ability to self-motivate and follow through with assignments
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to think and react in a high-energy, fast-paced environment
- Intuitive thinking and ability to pinpoint problem areas and propose solutions
- Self-aware, development focused mindset
- Ability to motivate other team members