Welcome to Career Week! While we always make career-focused content a priority on Fashionista, we thought spring would be a good time to give you an extra helping of tips and tricks on how to make it in the fashion industry.
Nailing the interview for your #FashionDreamJob requires more than just recalling your duties and achievements from past gigs. It's an opportunity to showcase how much you know about the company you're hoping to work for, prove how well-versed you are about (insert fun fashion specialty here) and the industry at large and get a feel for how well you jibe with the people you'll potentially be spending most of your time with. (You just might speak with more than one person during your interview, which could require some extra mental prepping.)
So you followed our six-step guide to create an attention-worthy resume, made sure your social media accounts are in good standing, scheduled a date and time for an interview and even have your outfit already picked out. Now what? We asked our closest fashion industry friends to send over some common questions that they ask (and have been asked) during job interviews. And while there's no right or wrong answer to our list of Qs — every hiring manager is looking for something different — as long as you deliver your responses with honesty, ease and confidence, chances are you'll make a lasting impression.
How You Work
- What are you looking for in a new position?
- Why do you want to work in fashion?
- What were some of your accomplishments at your last job?
- What were some challenges and how did you overcome them at your last job?
- What did you enjoy most about your last job? What did you enjoy least?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
What You Know
- What makes you passionate about the brand?
- What have you heard about our brand in the media?
- What experience can you bring to our brand?
- What are you currently following in the fashion industry (brand, news, model career, etc.)?
- Who are some of your favorite designers, fashion writers, stylists, photographers, etc.?
- Which celebrities have the best style to you?
- What could our website/magazine/social media accounts do better?
- What's exciting to you about the fashion industry?
- How do you think the fashion industry can improve?
What You're Like Outside of Work
- What do you like outside of fashion?
- Which social media platform are you most active on?
- What kind of content interests you?
- What magazines do you subscribe to?
- What websites do you read every day?
- What have you seen, watched or listened to lately?
What *You* Should Ask
- What is a typical day like?
- What's the dress code?
- Is there opportunity for growth here?
- Who will I be working alongside with?
- Who are you looking for to fill this position?
- How do you measure success?
Have more interview question examples and tips? Share them in the comments below.