Isabel Marant Sells Majority Stake in Her Company [Updated] - Fashionista

Isabel Marant Sells Majority Stake in Her Company [Updated]

The brand is worth an estimated 300 million euros.
Author:
Updated:
Original:
Isabel Marant at her Spring 2016 show. Photo: Getty Images

Isabel Marant at her Spring 2016 show. Photo: Getty Images

After decades of being independent, Isabel Marant could be looking to sell a majority stake in her namesake label.

Les Echos reports that Marant has been in talks with Montefiore, a French investment fund, to sell a 51 percent share in the company. Sophie Duruflé, the brand's managing director, and Nathalie Chemouny, the third partner in Marant's business, will retain the remaining 49 percent alongside Marant. With the company valued at an estimated 300 million euros, they could stand to gain a lot of money. “We have been in advanced discussions with Montefiore for several months, but nothing is signed,” Duruflé says. The label currently brings in about 150 million euros annually, 80 percent of which is comprised of international sales.

Isabel Marant would be the only fashion label within Montefiore's investment portfolio, which currently includes a budget hotel chain, a car rental broker, a vending machine operator and more.

A representative for Isabel Marant declined to comment at this time. An official announcement is expected Monday.

Update 7/22: Isabel Marant confirmed to WWD that it has indeed sold a 51 percent stake to Montefiore. Henri Topiol, a principal at the French investment fund, told the trade that it plans to expand the brand's direct-to-consumer business — both stores and e-commerce — to new markets in addition to expanding into new categories.

Sign up for our daily newsletter and get the latest industry news in your inbox every day.