We're seeking a passionate and capable Second Assistant (SA) to join our team in Lyst’s New York office. Please note this is an unpaid position. Working alongside the First Assistant (FA), you’ll own the Editorial Director’s (ED) office and her personal affairs - a crucial support to the most influential job in the company. The truth is, no one can do what she does; we need a dedicated team member who would die to work here, not merely deign to work here.
This is a very difficult job for which you are most likely totally wrong but work here for a year and you can get a job at any magazine you want. Welcome to the Dollhouse.
You must anticipate needs before they’re needed - the successful candidate will have a talent for making the impossible possible. While no sense of style or fashion is immediately required, an interest in fashion is crucial. In short, a million girls would kill for this job.
- Share phone duty with FA. The phone must be answered every time it rings.
- While you’ll work closely together the First and Second Assistants have totally different jobs.
- When FA is out you are chained to your desk. You’re solely in charge of ED’s schedule, appointments, and expenses.
- You’ll own coffee runs. Must be available from 5.30am on weekdays to bring in phone orders of Starbucks to the office - always delivered quickly and searing hot.
- Memorizing large dossiers of names and faces and be able to recite upon request.
- Collecting skirts from the Calvin Klein offices. No more than 10 or 15.
- Daily delivery of Editorial Book to the art department.
- Nightly delivery of editorial book and dry cleaning to Editorial Director’s home (only once you’re no longer considered a psycho).
- Effective time management. Moving at a glacial pace will not be tolerated.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships quickly and in the interests of the Editorial Director and wider business.
- Must be able to distinguish between blue, turquoise, lapis and cerulean.
- Relationship with the National Guard is a plus
- Northwestern University educated with a passion for journalism
- Good IT skills, comfortable with Mac, sidekick, blackberry, iPhones, and Android
- A clothing allowance - you need to care what you put on your back after all; what you’re wearing was selected for you by the people in this office.
- Refreshments including coffee, onion bagels, salads, cheese cubes, and corn chowder
- Occasional samples/ gifts from the likes of Bang & Olufsen, Marc Jacobs, Clinique, and Mason Pearson
- Possibility of attending Paris Fashion Week - only if the FA is unfit to attend, and you’re slender enough to be there (after all, 0 is the new 2)
You will work in a fast paced, autonomous environment with like-minded people who are passionate about what they do. You will be required to work long and hard, but rewarding, hours. When your personal life goes up in smoke it’ll be time for a promotion.
If you progress to the interview stage please dress appropriately. Show us a full ballerina skirt with a hint of saloon and we’re on board.
To apply, please visit https://www.lyst.com/careers/.