J.Crew addicts, there will soon be one more place to get your fix: Nordstrom just announced it would start carrying the brand in select stores and on its website starting Sept. 12. The retailer will carry select women's apparel (including brand staples like the Regent and Rhodes blazers and the Martie pants), men's suiting and accessories. Petite sizes will be available exclusively online.
This is not anything new for either party; Nordstrom sells sister brand Madewell and British high street brand Topshop, while J.Crew is sold selectively through Net-a-Porter and at Bon Marché. Madewell's partnership with Nordstrom has been such a success that it has expanded to 76 locations, up 20 doors since the start of the year. This will mark the first time J.Crew has sold in a brick-and-mortar retailer outside its own stores in the U.S.
"This was an easy decision," said J.Crew CEO Mickey Drexler in a release. "Nordstrom is the perfect partner because we both share the same high standards of customer service and store experience. Additionally, we are known for exceptional design, quality and style, which we know will appeal to the Nordstrom customer."
Drexler made clear to WWD that this arrangement doesn't mean J.Crew is looking to move to a wholesale model. "This is an exception for us," he told the trade. "It doesn’t at all suggest wholesaling." J.Crew has suffered from struggling sales of late; at the end of 2015, the brand experienced a 7 percent decrease in sales to $2.1 billion.
Nordstrom's J.Crew edit will be available in the following stores to start:
- Downtown Seattle (Seattle, Wash.)
- Bellevue Square (Bellevue, Wash.)
- Washington Square (Tigard, Ore.)
- Michigan Avenue (Chicago, Ill.)
- Oakbrook Center (Oak Brook, Ill.)
- Somerset Collection (Troy, Mich.)
- Scottsdale Fashion Square (Scottsdale, Ariz.)
- NorthPark Center (Dallas, Texas)
- Houston Galleria (Houston, Texas)
- Barton Creek Square (Austin, Texas)
- Domain Northside (Austin, Texas – opening September 30th)
- Tysons Corner Center, (McLean, Va.)
- The Plaza at King of Prussia (King of Prussia, Pa.)
- South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa, Calif.)
- The Mall at Short Hills (Short Hills, N.J.)
- The Mall at Green Hills (Nashville, Tenn.)