Mission of the Job
To increase visibility + earned media impressions for name brands and startup clients alike at the intersection of lifestyle, women’s interest, fashion and technology.
Through creative storytelling and campaign creation, the Associate Director will be responsible for furnishing original strategies that successfully secure tier-one press results and originating & producing periodic creative concepts poised for virality.
Further, to oversee at least three direct reports, managing and professionally developing junior team members skill sets in creative thinking and PR campaign execution.
Role Responsibilities & Outcomes
- Deliver monthly PR strategies that achieve client approval
○ Each PR strategy demonstrates an understanding of client goals & creative thinking (to achieve ownable moments for clients that have the potential for virality or original coverage that could not be achieved through mere seasonal/product angles alone)
○ Effectively delegate and collaborate with supporting team members to ensure client materials are furnished under deadline & the equivalent of the “100” emoji
- Fluency in both Women’s Interest, Fashion & Technology press strategies alike, working across the lines as necessary
- Deliver both internal & client-facing insights with eye that captures quantitative and qualitative results - acknowledging major wins, lessons learned, and moments of impact delivered by the team
○ Oversee junior team members to produce campaign recaps, monthly activity reports, and case studies that support new business endeavors
○ Spot trends in team results and proactively suggest methods of improvement with regard to how results are both achieved as well as packaged & communicated back to clients
- Contribute to new business as relevant client inquiries arise
- Contribute to company as a whole through participating in brainstorms and working across teams to lend a hand or creative idea as required
- Deliver in-depth top tier client coverage in wide-reaching consumer lifestyle, fashion/beauty, business & technology outlets as well as other categories as makes sense for client needs
○ Engineer & secure multiple pieces of press coverage for clients monthly, whether through announcements or evergreen storytelling.
■ Surface new storylines across top-tier relevant publications for clients.
■ Develop “beat” relationships with media, converting reporters into go-to contacts for the brands under your direction
○ Cultivate strong personal relationships with media in relevant client industries (ex. Tech, Fashion, Beauty, and Women’s Interest media)
■ Institutionalize new editorial & potential brand partner meetups for yourself
- Lead strategist, driver & day-to-day contact for multiple clients
- Expected to advise clients on short and long term strategy, managing expectations and appropriately setting goals, timelines and deliverables
- Manage in all directions to make sure everything runs smoothly and on track (managing up to Group Director, down to junior team members, across to clients and fellow SGPR gang members)
○ Be aware of what Junior team members are doing and able to quickly share that with director
○ Provide consistent guidance and advice to supporting team members
○ Keep Director up to date on any client requests or other details as necessary
○ Communicate professionally and personably with clients: Client-lead on accounts, expected to drive client meetings and work directly with clients & their partners regarding strategy, opportunities, media materials and more.
○ Can set and meet deadlines for self & juniors and bubble up deadlines to others to ensure the larger team does so as well
Competencies — Examples Include
- PR Expertise -- Ideally, 6-9 years in media relations with client leadership experience and proven, warm reporter relationships.
- Quick, Critical Thinking -- Demonstrates an ability to absorb new information and draw insightful conclusions on the fly
- Adaptability -- Adjusts quickly to changing client priorities; copes and responds supportively to complexity and thrives on tackling new challenges
- Excellent Presentation Skills -- Speaks and writes articulately and efficiently in all forms of communication; presents ideas with confidence and enthusiasm
- Savvy Relationship Manager -- Can convey to clients or colleagues why a suggested idea might not be effective from a PR perspective (or, pressworthy) while thinking on one’s feet to present alternative solutions
- Culture Bridge -- Knows about trends, communities, and events before others, generating campaign suggestions that connect these emerging concepts to client initiatives
- Organizationally Strong -- Plans and delegates in a productive manner, focusing on key priorities
- Efficient -- Able to work quickly without sacrificing work quality
- Self-starter -- Exhilarated by the opportunity to own entire projects and assignments with comfort being autonomous.
- Creative -- Loves coming up with new and experimental ways for everything from pitch angles to events to storytelling through brand partnerships
- Proactive -- Acts & suggests without needing to be explicitly told what to do. Brings fresh ideas and improvement processes to the table.
- Detail oriented -- Can spot a typo a mile away, diligent with formatting, double checks everything twice and routinely hits deadlines.
- Strong Work Ethic & High Standards -- Willing to personally dedicate hard work and additional hours to complete a job to one’s own high standards. Expects nothing short of the best from self and team.
Small Girls PR is a unique communications firm, championing a personal approach to media relations while leveraging new media heavy hitters, stunts & creative campaigns to build buzz among consumers and influencers alike.
Founded in 2010, Small Girls and its staff are digital natives who know how to speak to their tech-savvy peers on behalf of brands. By identifying narratives that are both mindful of trends in media as well as out-of-the-box, the firm has become the agency of record for large brands and helped startup clients reach global audiences. The founders have been featured speakers on the topics of earned media and influencer marketing at Harvard Business School, Forbes’ CMO excursion, UPenn’s Wharton School of Business and more.
Other accolades for the firm include:
- Business Insider’s Top 50 Tech PRs
- BuzzFeed’s Top Role Models for 20-Somethings
- Effie Marketing Award Winners
- Forbes’ 30 under 30
- Forbes’ Top 15 Women-Led Startup Companies
- Marie Claire’s Top 5 Young Guns
- PR Week’s Innovation 50
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s Top 3 Companies to Watch
The agency is up to 30+ employees and growing 50% year over year, making this a great opportunity to get in with a rapidly growing firm - with the ability to palpably architect the company’s future no matter which level you are hired. We recently doubled our office square footage (a beautiful space that has been courted by HBO film crews and editorial shoots alike) and are looking to expand our team accordingly.
Other things of particular note:
- Everyone at the company genuinely admires and respects one another- with multiple best pals, roommates, and kickball league teammates perforating the office
- One-to-one reporter communication. This means no mass BCC, no press releases, and no mail merge -- ever!
- Annual vacation, on us. Check past ones out on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/sgpretreat/
- 401(k): Better-than-matching, for 2016 Small Girls will contribute 3% of your annual salary into your retirement savings fund, whether you contribute for the year or not
- Happy working environment: Fun & productive workplace, Non-competitive (employees are recognized for securing placements for clients outside of their direct domain & helping other hub teams), Everyone held accountable for supporting the team
- Low turnover rate: Both our first and second employees ever hired are still with the company years later
- Strong Company Culture: Group Events (massage & yoga days! themed apparel days! rock climbing excursions!) Celebrations (birthdays! accomplishments! bachelorettes! holidays!) Employees empowered to maintain & institute culture activities (everyone picks up a piece of the SGPR pie at their own interest to put their stake in making this company the best place to be a part of)
- Manager of your own destiny: Voting on clients, Ability to suggest & set new policy/standards for company, Skill-sharing to co-learn across teams- from event production to digital strategy to blogger relations
To Apply: Please fill out this form and we’ll be in touch!