Mission of the Job
To increase brand awareness through quality earned media placements that support client goals and initiatives while working under the supervision of account leads to keep projects running smoothly.
To adopt a ruthless attention to detail and efficiency with regards to administrative & in-depth research tasks while keeping ever-changing to do lists in order, both personally and from a managing-up perspective.
Ideal candidates will have had hands-on experience at a PR agency (internship and/or full-time). Previous media outreach experience and proven track record of securing press placements preferred but not required.
Role Responsibilities & Outcomes
Execute effective media relations outreach under the direction of a supervisor/mentor, regularly securing top tier media placements
- Furnish consistent, quality media placements every month across an array of press verticals (from fashion to food to tech) that support client goals and initiatives
- Responsible for maintaining own pitching pipeline and ensuring that it yields fruit for each client
- Understand that not all placements are created equal, predominantly engineering against feature stories in top tier media (1M+ umv) with readership relevant to brand
- Keep a finger on the pulse of outlets and writers, always monitoring for new opportunities for client outreach
- Brainstorm innovative ways to create ownable media moments for clients and obtain editor attention with evergreen angles
- Maintain strong network of media contacts, proactively attending networking events or grabbing coffee/dinner/drinks with new and existing contacts at least 1-2x per month
Administrative and client communications & management support
- Responsible for administrative documents for 3-4 accounts or less:
○ Monthly activity reports
○ Weekly call agendas and notes thereafter
○ Wrap reports/decks as needed
- Pulse search engines, alerts and social media to ensure all client placements and mentions are monitored, captured and interpreted
- Manage in all directions to make sure everything runs smoothly and on track
○ Above: Not afraid to inquire with your supervisor about the status of something on their plate if you haven’t seen it and exhibit the grace to do so in a helpful way
○ Below: As needed/available, manage interns and Summer Fellows to assist with tasks. Provide clear instructions and double check their work for accuracy.
○ Yourself: Master of your own to-do list. Able to work autonomously but know when to ask for help, guidance or support.
Competencies — Examples Include
- Detail-oriented — Can spot a typo a mile away, diligent with formatting, double checks everything twice and never forgets or misses a deadline.
- Self-starter — You are exhilarated by the opportunity to own entire projects and assignments. You feel totally comfortable being autonomous.
- Creative — You love coming up with new and experimental ways for everything from pitch angles to media events to company outings. Generates new and innovative approaches to problems.
- Networked — If you don't already have relationships in the lifestyle and tech media space, you're totally not afraid to dive in and start making them.
- Efficient — You are able to work quickly without sacrificing work quality.
- High standards — You expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best.
- Adaptability —You adjust quickly to changing priorities and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Small Girls PR is a unique communications firm, championing a personal approach to media relations while leveraging new media heavy hitters, stunts & creative campaigns to build buzz among consumers and influencers alike.
Founded in 2010, Small Girls and its staff are digital natives who know how to speak to their tech-savvy peers on behalf of brands. By identifying narratives that are both mindful of trends in media as well as out-of-the-box, the firm has become the agency of record for large brands and helped startup clients reach global audiences. The founders have been featured speakers on the topics of earned media and influencer marketing at Harvard Business School, Forbes’ CMO excursion, UPenn’s Wharton School of Business and more.
Other accolades for the firm include:
- Business Insider’s Top 50 Tech PRs
- BuzzFeed’s Top Role Models for 20-Somethings
- Effie Marketing Award Winners
- Forbes’ 30 under 30
- Forbes’ Top 15 Women-Led Startup Companies
- Marie Claire’s Top 5 Young Guns
- PR Week’s Innovation 50
- Gary Vaynerchuk’s Top 3 Companies to Watch
The agency is up to 30+ employees and growing 50% year over year, making this a great opportunity to get in with a rapidly growing firm - with the ability to palpably architect the company’s future no matter what level you are hired at. We recently doubled our office square footage (a beautiful space that has been courted by film crews and editorial shoots alike) and acquired an agency in Los Angeles to open our doors on the west coast.
Other things of particular note:
- One-to-one reporter communication. This means no mass BCC, no press releases, and no mail merge -- ever!
- Annual vacation, on us. Check past ones out on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/sgpretreat/
- 401(k): Better-than-matching, for 2016 Small Girls will contribute 3% of your annual salary into your retirement savings fund, whether you contribute for the year or not.
- Happy working environment: Fun & productive workplace, Non-competitive (employees are recognized for securing placements for clients outside of their direct domain & helping other hub teams), Everyone held accountable for supporting the team.
- Low turnover rate: Both their first and second employees ever hired are still with the company years later.
- Strong Company Culture: Group Events (massage & yoga days! themed apparel days! rock climbing excursions!) Celebrations (birthdays! accomplishments! bachelorettes! holidays!) Employees empowered to maintain & institute culture activities (everyone picks up a piece of the SGPR pie at their own interest to put their stake in making this company the best place to be a part of).
- Manager of your own destiny: Voting on clients, Ability to suggest & set new policy/standards for company, Skill-sharing to co-learn across teams- from event production to digital strategy to blogger relations.
To Apply: Please fill out this form and we’ll be in touch!