Donald Trump is set to meet with the top editors and executives of Condé Nast — including Vogue's Anna Wintour and the President-elect's longtime rival, Vanity Fair's Graydon Carter — at the publisher's One World Trade Center offices at 10 a.m. on Friday morning. The "off-the-record meeting" was first reported by Politico on Thursday, and was confirmed by Trump in a tweet sent earlier on Friday:
Wintour, who also serves as Condé Nast's artistic director, reportedly met with Trump at Trump Tower in Manhattan last month, just a few days after she apologized for making critical comments about Trump's foundation that were overheard on a train.
On Friday, Politico reported that Carter volunteered to sit out Friday's meeting, but Wintour "wanted [him] to be there." Carter told Politico's Joe Pompeo: "It wouldn't be my first choice to spend a Friday morning in a group like that... I try to be a decent host. I went to Anna Wintour and I said, 'Listen, I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable.'" Carter and Trump have quarreled for decades, most recently culminating in Trump tweeting the following after VanityFair.com published a negative review of Trump Grill, his Trump Tower steakhouse: "Has anyone looked at the really poor numbers of @VanityFair Magazine. Way down, big trouble, dead! Graydon Carter, no talent, will be out!" Vanity Fair proceeded to print this tweet on the cover of its February 2017 issue.
We will update this post should we learn more about Friday's meeting.